another time burning suggestion

Discussion in 'Answered Feedback' started by Blacksmith, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

Why isn't their a section for AS2 or flash coding in general​
    a lot of people use it most of the time in animations and in just cool things​
    and a section like this could probably benefit people to be able to make more things like little flash games and what not​
    their are people who would like to learn or teach others about scripting and what not​
    I'm not going to go into full detail of why I think their should be something like this​
    BUT i feel that if we did have a action script section of the forums then we would have a fuck ton more possibilities open for the community (or at least the part that's alive)​

2. Thewindyfan

Thewindyfan I'm too slow for this shit

Theres like only 3-4 people here according to my knowledge that know much about actionscript enough to teach some basics of it. It wouldn't really be used as much to be honest.

Lynus likes this.
  3. Aidan

Aidan
    Retired Staff

For the longest time there WAS a coding forum. There was even a coding TEAM a long time ago. But really, there are only a handful of people that know ActionScript and Programming beyond a simple play button. I wouldn't say no regardless of that fact, since it'd be nice to encourage more people. Looking at you, Leo.

Digital likes this.
  4. LeoV

LeoV gone
    Retired Staff

like aidan said, there used to be a coding section here (there was a coding team????? what the frick), apparently it died because of the lack of interest. LOL. i'm afraid the same would happen today.

tell me who these people are, would love to talk with them about programming :)

if you want to learn, there's years and years of stuff about AS2 on the web. takes some digging, yeah, because everyone moved to AS3 (which is faster), and because nowadays everyone moved away from flash. but most of it is there. and if it isn't, flash 8 has very decent documentation. at least for me, since it's where i learned it.

not sure. don't even know who the fuck bothers with coding at all in these forums (except for trow and aidan, really). there isn't a community for this, at least it doesn't seem like it to me.
    the most advanced thing people do with AS2 here is a signature, which is really one of the simplest things to do with it. and if there was a coding section the last thing i'd want to see is three million threads whose title is just "HEL,,P SIG B,,UTTONS DONT WO RK????? HEL P".

i'd encourage this if people were actually willing to learn, but that comes from them first. most people here don't seem too terribly interested in learning this stuff. hell, people barely want to learn about the technicalities of animation as it is. it's always just "LOL NERDS AMIRITE".
    idk.

sorry to be a downer i guess, but my impression is that no one cares. would be great if there was something like this, at least i know that i'd like contributing to it. the problem is that there can't be a section just so anyone who knows the tiniest amount of AS2 can shout at the abyss.

edit: this is just MY opinion though. if trow actually decided to have a section like this (for whatever weird reason) i'd just go ahead and post in it, but i doubt that's actually going to happen.

Taki , Lynus and Sekka* like this.
  5. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

...again, address the title and its just a small idea,

and when i said people use it in their animations, i mean things like the mass tracebitmapper or the drop shadow code so forth so on

i just thought this would be a nice way to provide small itty bitty type of life into the forums and stuff

6. LeoV

LeoV gone
    Retired Staff

people actually use that thing? dang

as for bringing life into the forums...um what? again, tell me who is even slightly interested in coding. yeah, there's so little people interested that you can count how many are there on your fingers. i doubt that would actually make people post more.
    you're actually saying it right there, people just use these things, i don't think they're interested at all in understanding how any of it works.

creating an entire section for something isn't a small idea, also.
    for now, if anyone wants any help, the requests/help section exists. if someone happens to make a game (lol), then they should post it under Entertainment > Misc. Games, if i'm not mistaken.

i'd be more optimistic if people proved me wrong about this.

Thewindyfan and Sekka* like this.
  7. Amanda

Donator

I'd be interested in learning more about it. I almost have like a phobia of coding/programming, but I'm willing to try again from the very very basics.

dat1apscoredoeforcompsci

8. Taki

Taki Kuulas enthusiast
    Retired Staff

Maaaaaaybe, i would make a game making section, if that sounds like a good idea.
    Coding alone is a very broad topic, you have this webpage coding, animation coding thingies, programs codings things, etc. Many stuff that too few people here have interest.
    The issue i've seen with the past coding section, people get lost easily and those who wanted to learn something wouldn't know where to start. As in for actionscripting alone, you only need it to make signatures or have preloaders in your animations. There is no need for a whole section for that, a few tutorials should be sufficient or the help section like leo said.

A game making section like i have in mind wouldn't be solely about coding. It could be parted in to subsections like "finished games", "wip games" "planing", "ideas", "recruiting". Idk, just started brainstorming here.

Lynus likes this.
  9. LeoV

LeoV gone
    Retired Staff

not sure if a game section would work either. people usually tend to dream too much about their super ultra ebin mmorpg called "Dark GTA Skyrim Gear Solid Souls 4 & Knuckles" instead of just wanting to make some smaller fun games.

not that it's super hard to make games these days, though. like, unity 5 has all the previously pro-only features for free now, unreal engine 4 is pretty much free if you're not making a lot of money from your game, and game maker and construct 2 are still solid options if you want to do 2D-only stuff more quickly (since unity and UE4 have really hack-ish support for 2D stuff, and that isn't really going to change i'm afraid). those all cut down the time needed to make a game since they already handle lots of trivial - opening a window, getting a graphic context, etc. - and non-trivial things - most have a physics engine built-in, nice effects, a visual editor for making levels and other stuff more quickly, amongst others.

there's a bunch of other options as well, and if you can live with the fact that most people would rather not use flash these days, AS3 is still quite decent for small/medium games.

if this was ever started, there could be a primer of sorts on programming, explaining the essential things, like variables, arrays, functions, control flow, and if the language allows for it, some OOP concepts like inheritance and how classes work in general.
    i'd do them with a super easy language, or if not a very easy one, at least a incredibly accessible one - something along the lines of javascript or actionscript, or maybe processing if people would want a start while also doing cool looking graphics.
    then after that, there could be links to places so they could start with other languages.

i just have the feeling that people are too dependent. they just really NEED a tutorial that goes through every single little thing they want to do ever, and that doesn't exist for every case. sure, there's some slightly more specific tuts alongside the more generic ones, but those should be really just looked at mostly as examples of what to do with the general concepts, and not things to follow to a T.

taking signatures as an example, there's no actual need for doing a specific tutorial about them at all. what you need to know is roughly the following:
    - how to make a button, and how to make it do something when clicked
    - how to play and stop music (preferably with code alone)
    - how to link to urls

and that's it. anything else is really optional. pretty effects, wonky character loops, absurdly detailed and unreadable fonts, that's all stuff that you learn only if you want to. you can google all the essential things and you most likely will find tutorials on them, since they're all super simple.
    but you need to have the will to do some research on your own. otherwise you'll never really learn anything. and again, i don't see that in people. i just see people wanting tutorials for these specific problems, or worse yet, someone who can do those for them.

edit: sorry for the walls of text. i get easily carried away.

10. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

No harm done Leo

But now, I'm in the mood to look up how to make a side scrolling fighter thing like SF4 and stuff
    I know it might be easy but I wanna get too see how close I get in quality and stuff to what things really would be

Basicly I wanna how to mix guilty gear double accent core xx accent core plus with blaze blue and street fighter mixed with maple sprites, Maple animator sprites

So....yea...I'm not going to animate in a longer while I guess

11. LeoV

LeoV gone
    Retired Staff

it's not.
    besides, people tried this like a million times and never went anywhere. but good luck with that i guess

12. Aidan

Aidan
    Retired Staff

The thing with game making and coding in general, is you can't just sit down and make a game in one night like you can a Maple animation. I mean, you technically could but it probably wouldn't be that good.

You definitely can't just look up a tutorial on how to make a SF4-style game and just know it like that. If you rely on tutorials you'll get stuck and not know how to fix whatever specific problem you have. Programming, you have to learn from the ground up and things will start to make sense, it just takes awhile.

Lynus likes this.
  13. Heki

Heki Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

Programming is a lot of trial and error. The first step within programming is learning the language. While there could be a section to discuss the language of the program and some basic codes, as Aidan mentioned, you can't really generate a full game using just the basics. One of the best examples I have for the difficulty of programming comes from my current roommate. He's studying to be a computer engineer and most of his courses require programming simple things.

Let's take connect four as your current project (forget making something similar to SF4). Within this program, you need to make it so that the game understands whose turn it is, remember which pieces have been placed, what a winning combination is (or how to identify one) and a clearing board process. There may be a few more smaller things you would want to program in, such as graphics, but for now let's just look at the few steps I mentioned.
    My roommate (who was a Sophomore in college at the time of this project, so fairly knowledgeable on the language, JAVA I think) spent about 3 hours just programming the turn process. Probably around 3-4 hours for the piece placement. But then it came to the winning combination. This process took him days just to get to a satisfactory level since there were always variables within his code that would either not work or would not process. So the overall project took maybe around a week or so (from scratch).

Now, let's look at the more simplified Flash coding. Sure, a lot of the coding is given to you and there are some fairly simple tutorials out there. But the problem with coding in general isn't the language, but the logic. From what I know, codes follow the logic you give them. They only know the logic you give them and nothing else. The only time they will do something randomly is if you tell them to specifically. Sure you can give a specific code for moving around, but then what about the code for scrolling the game? Or even command inputs?
    You say you can start off by using codes that other people have written, but what if it gets to the point where you want to innovate your game? What if you can't find the specific code needed? Or if your copy and paste had an issue and continues having that issue? What if the logic of someone's code contradicts the logic of another code you copied?

Tutorials are good and all, but hey, that's what the tutorial section is for. But when it comes to coding, relying on tutorials isn't the best option. The tutorials should only teach the basics, the rest should be learned through trial and error.

I mean, I can see the use of a specified forum for people to look through each other's codes and figure out the issue. But as mentioned before, not too many people actually know coding beyond the very very very very basics.

Umm...... I actually don't quite know where I was going with that, but I guess I just wanted to make it clear that coding isn't as simple as following a tutorial and just copy and pasting codes either.
    IMHO, if people want critique on a flash code, they can set up an example within an animation, post it in the animation section, maybe have a special tag showing that it's a code they want CnCed. Then they can also post the actual code (along with the animation) in their thread. That way people can test out the code without having to copy and paste it into their own program and maybe even figure out what the issue with the code is by "reading" through it.

Lynus and Amanda like this.
  14. LeoV

LeoV gone
    Retired Staff

yep, a lot of it really is just logic/problem-solving. and that's really hard. the syntax of the language itself may not be exactly super hard to learn, a lot of them are actually very similar (C-style). the logic is the real complex stuff.

really the only things that can be taught well are the building blocks, - data types, functions et al. - and possibly some common algorithms. really specific problems you're trying to solve are best solved on your own.

i'd be down for a section for "code critique" and the like, always fun to find how to make something more efficient, more elegant, etc.

15. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

Oh shit, i meant it might NOT be easy,

sorry. i was sleepy as shit that time.

16. Lynus

Lynus R.I.P Reginald.
    Retired Staff

www.codeacademy.com

yayaay

Clay likes this.