1. Before participating in Maplemation Battle Royale, make sure you are familiar with the system. Happy battling!

Art MBR Clev vs Hunter

Discussion in 'Art Arena' started by Hunter , Dec 21, 2014.

?

Who shall win?

1. Hunter

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Clev

29 vote(s)
    87.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter

Hunter Member of the Month not LUL

CCshinobi, Hatim and Dan Derps like this.
  2. Dan Derps

Dan Derps i am me.

both very unique drawings. personally, i like clev's better. but for some odd reason, i feel that i should vote for hunter...
    his looks more anime-ey although not drawn as well... while you have clevs that is clearly drawn better, but doesn't remind me much of anime.
    So, considering that the theme is anime reference to character, my vote will go to hunter.

and yes, i know there are different forms of manga arts, like chibi and crap. (clev's looks chibi and it's cute af, but chibi basically reminds me of cartoony stuff.) GOOD JOB YOU GUYS!

3. Hunter

Added Anime reference to the pictures!

4. Char

Char Veteran Membah'

Hunter, if that's supposed to look like Kill la Kill, I don't think you watched Kill la Kill.
    Voted Clev

5. Dan Derps

Dan Derps i am me.

ok, now lets go for with the themes added.
    HUNTER: kill la kill... doesn't look much like that? the drawing is ok, but it just doesn't feel like kill la kill.
    Clev: now that the panty and stocking was referenced, i can say that YOU have my vote. it's spot on to panty and stocking...
    sorry, hunter you just lost my vote... still good art though...

CCshinobi likes this.
  6. Miles

Miles Veteran Membah'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    luv ya bb, but pls no

Annnyway with that tidbit of rage spent from my system I can move on and dole my opinion of the artists's'ss's's''s's's works.

CLEV:
    ​Thoroughly enjoyed your work! It really reflected the Panty and Stocking art style, along with implementing hints and dashes of your own. But this:
    [​IMG]
    This rustles my jimmies.
    Overall fantastic Work, my vote goes to you.

Hunter:
    Ayy, I see you went for the style of a more 'core' anime stereotype of art, which isn't bad mind you, but I would recommend working on your proportions, because I'm afraid you lost your way aligning the head, neck, torso, and hands to a common ratio. And although I haven't seen Kill la Kill, and you may be spot on with it, it looks alot more like Attack on Titan to me. But hey beauty is in the eye of the beholder so keep your head up champ!

That's all from me folks! I am outta here!

7. Xia

Xia Newbie

The only reference to KLK from Hunter's piece are the stars... Which even then, were poorly executed. You could've done so much more, like these red stars
    [​IMG]

or, the overall theme of "dark base, gold trim" and "red accessories"

[​IMG]

There is a LOT of red and black stars in KLK. If you had added those in, that would've helped; a lot. And mostly because these factors are all peripherals; they're add-ons and can be applied to any character because its supplementary, you can have it or not, and it's a theme. Notice how they took a plain character like Mako and added (some pretty badass) additions?

So yeah, in the end, Hunter:

[​IMG]

Lynus likes this.
  8. Hunter

Lol, nothing toward the background? Okay. my character does have three stars on the neck and glove having one star if you don't notice it.

[​IMG]

Matter of the fact, I love Kill la Kill. Like.....I FUCKING LOVE IT! Why do you think I used Kill la Kill if I didn't watch it when the theme is all about my favorite anime reference into my character? (I couldn't let that message go by without me saying anything)

Reason why it seems like this is because my lack of experience with coloring and my tablet. Main reason for this challenge was to obtain most experience through challenges in order to get more mistake fixed in matter of time. So in order to have that happen would be MBR because doing art firsthand doesn't help without having challenge because it helps you focus more into your skills after the battle in order to improve. Like my body proportion, hands, somewhat shaggy outline, but hey. I'm still getting changed from traditional art to digital art.

CCshinobi likes this.
  9. Smeagal

Smeagal The Clutchness

Clev:
    Impressive, it actually looked like a Panty & Stocking artwork.

Hunter:
    [​IMG]
    jk, your neck ain't that long, just reminds me of something long ago. Need to improve on proportions from neck, hands, and waist.

Voting for Clev.

CCshinobi and Hunter like this.
  10. LeoV

LeoV gone
    Retired Staff

hunter
    shape design's pretty weak, which is even more upsetting considering this is kill la kill we're talking about here. the core of that style is nice and flowing shapes. here you have lots of parallels, things that are mostly the same size/don't taper, the hair shapes don't flow well, etc.
    there was none of that nice gainax weird goodness in your drawing tbh. kill la kill has a lot of that. the style's very dynamic and fun. your drawing looks static and basically doesn't have the same charm as klk's style.

form's also wank, things don't really wrap around the implied forms very well and the shadows don't help - especially on the clothing. just...what are those folds.
    in terms of proportions i have no idea what you were trying here. some elements are more chibi-like, being much bigger/smaller than they should be, while others are the inverse. the details seem to imply you went for that common anime look but the proportions fight against that. also the neck's too thick lmao

about the background...idk. it's a scribble lol. try not to do that.

it's a better attempt overall compared to your previous drawings but you still have a long way to go. keep drawin'

clev
    not fair, your style's already pretty much like P&S'! all those flat designy shapes.
    what disappointed me severely were those hands. they're designed awkwardly and should be way, way sharper/pointy. and maybe the shape of her right (our left) arm could be stronger too, using more concave curves as it's usually common for this style.

compositionally i feel it's a bit cramped but looks fine for the most part aside from that.
    good stuff otherwise.

gonna vote for clev.

Hunter likes this.
  11. Xia

Xia Newbie

OH I JUST REALIZED THERE'S A HALF-STAR IN THE BACKGROUND (my bad)

It IS possible argue that the three star necklace has its resemblance to the anime but, as an opposing arguement, it's very vague and it makes it harder to determine whether or not that's just a fancy necklace or a necklace directly referring to KLK. It's kinda dangerous to do small references (even in Cleventine's case which is only the drawn style). I did realize that it does have it's reference to KLK but objectively speaking: the style is not accurate nor in the same proportion as the actual anime, and the theme is not consistent with the anime either.

There just isn't enough that relates to the anime itself: style (the way its drawn), theme (the concepts used), and direct implications (unique characters/items that infer a connection). Only a handful of stars. Perhaps the weapon could have been colored like the weapons from KLK? Perhaps the clothing could have had some added textures (like the texture you see under Mako's hat) such that you can add more theme to the drawing.

That being said, I would've been able to imply an assumption that Hunter's as KLK, which is dangerous on my part because I really don't know (and that's coming from the stars themselves because I love KLK). But I probably wouldn't have been able to tell apart Clev's since to the uninformed eye, looks like any old drawing.
    Doesn't really matter though, do what you do best. In the end, I did enjoy Clev's piece more.

Hunter likes this.
  12. Lynus

Lynus R.I.P Reginald.
    Retired Staff

Hunter's once lacked Kill La Kill style because he's not wearing something that reveals boobs/ass/abs/penis bulge.
    Like to also reiterate someone, i think it was Xia, where he mentions that you definitely need more red/gold/black theme going on with the characters, at least the addition of a Mako hat or purple flashing lights or somtehing would've been better.
    Your drawing here is much better than the drawings you've submitted before, hwoever it doesn't make the cut cause.. anatomy, the hands are wrong, the neck is abnormal, the arms are very chubby etc..
    I can still see the Maplestory in this, mainly the head, but because you made a normal looking body and you chucked a maple head on it.. It just doesn't add up mostly.
    Also, white stains on the pants HA.

Well, Clev is clev, she didn't even have to relate it to a theme, she just drew it and conveniently referenced it to PandS.

13. NΣRO

NΣRO Guest

Vote goes to Clev.

Hunter:
    What.
    Looks kinda, weird. Like it looks a bit stubby, and doesnt really look Kill-La-Kill like.
    ALSO, ARMS REACH DOWN PAST THE WAIST. WHY DO THEY NOT HERE.
    Clev:
    Stop being good.

Very accurate to the style, kudos to you.
    Only gripe I have with this is that I at first couldn't tell what the weapon was, and thought it was a blend in with the background. Also I think the torso lacks shading.

Overall Clev impressed me more, so my vote goes to her.

14. Hatim

Hatim Love Emperor

Clev
    repent motherfucker
    Well the drawing sure is nice, but since you're referencing PSG's artstyle I'll CnC regarding that.
    first of all it feels that your outline is really thick, also I feel like the character is too short and large comparing to the original artstyle, fingers are actually 5 while you drew 4, the part from the hips to the top is supposed to be narrow (which is a bit exaggerated but yeah that's PSG's style),the way the head is drawn is too round, while It's kinda like..uh...curved but sharper? yeah I don't know lol.

Sorry for the basic words, I ain't an artist,so yeah.
    Those are just some small points that could be improved seeing that you wanted to draw in PSG's artstyle, the palette is very appealing and the scythe's color is surely nice.
    I wonder which cloth is that from. ;)
    so yeah, great drawing overall, now make another drawing with the anime style. :D

Hunter
    Yeaaah you got alot of things to work on, search for (fe)male's anatomy and study that, but hey, at least you're learning.

vote goes for Cleventine.

15. Hunter

Because lower arms are facing out rather than down, think I should cut my character in half? I think not.

16. Miles

Miles Veteran Membah'

[​IMG]

Nero is actually right.

Lynus , Hunter and Xia like this.
  17. CCshinobi

CCshinobi Filmmaker, Animator

To be fair, Clev definitely excelled, but I thought Hawnter chose a much more difficult reference to work with. It was ambitious though, so props for effort bro.
    Both of you did well IMO, but I think Clev wins in regard to theme correlation.

Nice artwork peeps.

Hunter likes this.
  18. Lynus

Lynus R.I.P Reginald.
    Retired Staff

And it's over !
    Ah, any media other than animation MBRs are so much cooler.
    Your points will be awarded shortly !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.