1. Before participating in Maplemation Battle Royale, make sure you are familiar with the system. Happy battling!

Axel1950 vs MintBreak Art MBR

Discussion in 'Art Arena' started by MintBreak, Jun 28, 2015.

?

Your life, your choice.

Poll closed Jun 30, 2015.
  1. Axelgao

17.6%
  2. MindBreak

82.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MintBreak

MintBreak Veteran Membah'

Changes
    [​IMG]

Axel1950

Profile - http://maplemation.com/threads/axels-mbr-thing.30797/
    Entry -
    [​IMG]
    Notes - I had fun doing this Mbr but I could've had this fun even without it. but thanks anyways.

MintBreak
    Profile - http://maplemation.com/threads/mintbreaks-mbr-profile.30796/
    Entry -
    [​IMG]
    Notes - This is a character from the new NieR 2 trailer. Thank you Axel for being a good sport. I felt like he was at disadvantage due to work, but he was able to pull through amazingly enough. Good half, good half. GGWP.

Nothing is impossible! What are you waiting for?

Kenny, Zepto, Ayros and 1 other person like this.
  2. bluezemmi

bluezemmi Love all of you
    Comic Team Leader

Well shit. This is one MBR that I don't know who to vote for since both of the drawings look so lit.

Blez, Kenny and MintBreak like this.
  3. Jasiu

Jasiu ジョニー

I know the theme is video games and that means that I should know these characters. WHY I DON'T KNOW 'EM?!

4. MintBreak

Lynus , Kenny and NastyVince like this.
  5. Vegito

Vegito Newbie

It's really awesome when the people facing off in an MBR are both serious about what they do!

This is not easy to vote at all... both pieces are well done in their own way. I'm really loving the choice of colors & shading style on Axel's piece it reminds me of a popular devianart person. I think their name was Kro0nPr1nz.

MindBreak's piece is also nicely polished. I like this one more just because the colors & the addition of the background brings more emotion to the piece. And since the Nier 2 title has a bit of a elegant yet depressing vibe the picture captures this video game well.

You both did really damn good, but I'm voting Mindbreak. I'm definitely keeping an eye out to see what else you guys make in the future.

Kenny and MintBreak like this.
  6. markng1019

markng1019 Filthy memer

Whoa. Both really did great on their works.
    For Axel1950, looks really skillful, simply astonishing.
    For MintBreak, even though not as amazing, things like the composition really help set the mood which made the artwork better.

My vote goes to MintBreak. If skill was all it took vs the idea and composition..then maybe I'd vote otherwise. Not saying all it took to get people's votes are the extra stuff you put in, but in a way it helps.

7. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

....niiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr <3

i have to go with mintbreak ;-;

Kenny likes this.
  8. Ayros

Ayros Your Kittiness

Holy crap they're both beautiful pieces! This is a hard one...

Both did an amazing job but I'll have to vote for mindbreak. The almost colorless setting mixed with the unsaturated colors of the flowers mixed perfectly with the character and brought out the mood and emotion of the piece.

Lynus , Kenny and MintBreak like this.
  9. tonyart101

tonyart101 Little Lone Raven

As what everyone says, "choice of colour.." "texture..." blah blah blah. I like them both the way they are.
    But, since I'm more into anime based types of art, voting for Mintbreak, sorry Alex :c

Kenny likes this.
  10. Dan Derps

Dan Derps i am me.

I dunno... Axel's has this painting vibe that i love to see in art,
    but mint's had the anime style i love just as much...
    I GO WITH AXEL BECAUSE IT LOOKS SHINIER AND MORE BRIGHT!
    i love vibrancy~

Lynus , Kenny and MintBreak like this.
  11. LeoV

LeoV gone
    Retired Staff

leaning towards mint here.

i don't have the time to nitpick on these. but i'll say, axel:
    - i can see a bunch of little anatomical and proportional mistakes in your piece
    - with how solid everything else is, the clothing feels like it's literally just painted on her body, except in a few places. which is odd. you'd want to give it some thickness instead of making it just painted in there.
    - it feels like a very standard piece to see from you now. not too bad (i mean hey, kronprinz literally does the exactly same old same old thing every single time he draws and he gets all this ez patreon $$), but it gets sorta tiring to see. especially when we're talking about art of this quality.​

as for mint, yeah there's some structural/anatomical/proportional issues i could point out here as well. and the environment could have been defined better too (unless that's some crazy ass fog). but on the whole, i feel like it's a more complete and meaningful piece than axel's. there is more of a story going on here and that's always great. it gives me a reason to keep looking at the piece, trying to understand its meaning. a piece like axel's doesn't have much for me in that sense. i can just glance at it and basically tell what's going on. there are some nuances but it's not the same thing.

this does sound like it's super pretentious but i think it's something every artist should be drifting towards (and admittedly i don't do it enough), and really, there's no reason not to. even some artists which only draw only pinups 24/7 still try to do this in some way. it is one of those things also that can't really be taught much. which is why it feels like it's just not important/is too hard to bother with, but it is worth it.

aside from all that, both did a great job. very hard decision to make indeed.

>implying mint's drawing was less impressive technically

which is um, silly, since i feel they're about even skill-wise, although in terms of rendering, axel's obviously the most experienced one here. unless that's what you mean...? even though that's still pretty crazy since you're basically saying that rendering = skill, which is completely bogus.

not to attack anyone for their opinion really, that's the last thing i would do, but if that's REALLY what you're saying here, it's something i just...can't agree with, like, at all. rendering is just one of the million things an competent artist must have.
    if anything i feel it is one of the most trivial ones too, since rendering is easy when you have everything that comes before it solved already - for example, you don't solve lighting problems with rendering, you solve them by thinking about your lighting and then thinking about how would the geometry you have (i.e. environments and characters) be lit. then rendering is basically you representing all that information (geometry, lighting, etc) you have in the canvas, virtual or physical.
    it is almost the same process a common 3D renderer would go through.

Amanda , Kenny and MintBreak like this.
  12. Aidan

Aidan
    Retired Staff

Both are very, very solid. Good job to both of you!

Going with MintBreak, much nicer composition. Only thing I would change is give some subtle indication there is a background.

Axel, something I notice with your work is the edges seem really rough in some spots. You should fix that. I'm also not a fan of the blur/out-of-focus on the hand, I think it would look much nicer without it.

13. Kenny

Kenny Alien
    Retired Staff

Question, what does rendering mean?

I got destroyed by composition and story and my own incompetence. I learned a few valuable lessons from this MBR. I overlooked many of what constitutes good art: composition, story, mood etc. to make something only aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, thought that I could win this MBR solely by doing what I was always doing, which is disrespectful to my opponent. Secondly, I chose the wrong subject for my piece, I had minimal understanding of it and I chose it just because I wanted to go fast, compared to my opponent, who had a deeper understanding of his piece(should've read up on sanic). I've grown as an artist through this MBR and I feel this is exactly why MBR exists and I am grateful for it. Congratulations MintBreak on the win, you deserved it.

Tried to make this as unsalted as possible. Thanks for all the people who voted for me because I got vaporized.

This is for the next challenger: Do not think I'll be the same as I am now. I have 100 articles, 69 videos, 420 tutorials on composition on the back of my head and you better be ready. I will be bigger, stronger, harder, faster than I've ever been before. lol.

Lynus and MintBreak like this.
  14. MintBreak

[​IMG]

Ayros, Lynus and Kenny like this.
  15. LeoV

LeoV gone
    Retired Staff

any time i mention it in there i just mean...like taking the lighting info you have in your head, your geometry (think of the forms you use to mentally construct things, like a sphere for a cranium, box for a hand, etc), and just painting that stuff out from your head to the canvas. think of what a 3D renderer should do in this case. it's generally the same thing. it turns out they're super close, so things like calculating how bright should a plane be (something you never do, just think of how stupid that would be in your case) happens close or at the rendering stage (although i've never written a 3D renderer (yet) so i don't know exactly).

in painting, practically, the lighting stuff tends to get bundled up with the rendering stuff but they're not the same. so that's why you have terms like over-rendering, which sorta mean that you're spending too much time at that transfer process. you're adding too much detail there, detail that people normally won't ever care about.

i just want to make it clear that rendering is not a bad thing to spend time on, just that over-rendering is probably not a good idea in most cases since it's not really noticeable when you do it (well it sorta is, but if your stroke economy is good it's not super obvious). if we had infinite time then we could just render things out up to whatever degree we wanted, but we don't - and we usually have things like deadlines - so we just spend as much time as we need for it to match up with the polish level we want (in concept art stuff for example this is rather low, but "art of" books will make it seem like they have a lot more polish than they should usually).

TL;DR: you're a 3D renderer. you can render things that are passed to you (textures, geometry, lighting info, etc etc etc). that's rendering. however we can render things in less detail (i guess you'd call this rendering quality but that's lame in the case of painting), and they still look totally fine and nice.

making things pleasing to the eye involve a lot of things and it depends even on the eyes of whoever's looking at it. so yes, assuming that rendering was going to be the main force that would make people vote for you was a big mishap on your part. it usually is a mistake i make too, so if it makes you feel a little better, i do it too. way more than i'd like to, for the record. lol.

i suppose i should stop being so ramble-y with these but i don't even care ya know since most people ain't gonna read them anyway

Kenny likes this.
  16. Kenny

Kenny Alien
    Retired Staff

I read them and I like it. You're next on my who-to-mbr-next list btw.

okay probably not you would destroy me too

Lynus likes this.
  17. Aidan

Aidan
    Retired Staff

Congratulations on winning, MintBreak. Your points/medals/etc will be awarded shortly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.