1. Guest, you may notice that chatbox is not here anymore. Use the Discord chat instead! It’s way more popular these days, Grandpa!
    Dismiss Notice

Dear MM Community

Discussion in 'Bugs & Feedback' started by Surani, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Surani

Surani undying envy
    Retired Staff

[​IMG]

hi it’s your least favourite piece of revolting garbage here.

Haven’t really made much of an appearance on this forum, speaking in the sense of contributions and all. There are reasons as to why. And well, I'm pretty confident that a significant amount of you reading, just could not give less of a damn. For those who do, refer to the spoiler below if you are curious.

This is in no way of me making any sort of excuse for my absence whatsoever. Not for pity or sympathy, which is pretty much near to impossible on the internet, but for the sake of explanation. I feel as if you guys deserve one. But here's the main reason:

My lifestyle is not forgiving. How I am able to possess any free time at all can only be described as an example of a miracle. As most people I know have the freedom to practice and invest their own personal time into whatever activity they so desire, such as animation or programming, I myself do not have that luxury. There is a plethora of factors for that, but, that's a tune no one wants to hear.

However, there is such a thing as being able to manage my own time. Especially at my age. So, I apologize for being unable to juggle my life in a more coordinated manner. If I was more direct with my time, this forum would've been blessed with more abhorrent articles that stemmed from the expired yoghurt that is my mind.

As of now, I am sort of a one-man team. Literally. But I'm pretty sure a man with one leg can stand as well as a man with two. Probably.

Since you guys are pretty much my primary audience, feedback and suggestions are always appreciated. This thread focuses on the latter.

Alongside my own t̶e̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ideas, what would you, as a member of this community, like to see from the News Team? Or just me.

All suggestions are welcome! No suggestion is too silly! Well, except for this one.

Have a nice day.
    Brush your teeth.
    Don’t die.

Here's something silly for the road.

#1 Surani, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Hatim , Blez, Hunter and 7 others like this.
  2. Jaycie

Jaycie Chop~

Welcome back, Surani.

Some ideas are mentioned here: http://maplemation.com/threads/le-news-literature-team.29287/

I suggested this back in the thread:
    • Beginners / Members who have done a splendid progress can have some kind of shout-out? That might increase motivation and attention to the members.
    • People who've made a meaningful animation really deserve a candy.
    • Birthday/subscriber specials can have some sort of congratulation.
    • How about giving the team some freedom to write about a topic they so want to. That gives more new contents and expectations, or it will get too repetitive and lose readers in the end.
    • Every now and then, I find that the "Off-topic" section have some interesting threads - but gets not enough attention. It might be cool if the team could read and sum up something worth to be mentioned from the the thread(s).
    • Giving WIP projects/collabs more attention. The team could keep us updated with the projects' progress and status. Maybe interview with the host/participants of their part or expectations they have. Even members who ain't in the project. That might give the members something to look forward to, and motivation to the participants.
    And Takii approved some.
    Beginners / Members who have done a splendid progress - Is kinda hard to follow, it might motivate some beginners but demotivate others who don't get noticed.
    meaningful animation - This fits in the review column
    Birthday/subscriber specials - I personally hate birthdays and fought against the birthday congratulations flood in the off topic section until we got this sweet system that congratulates automatically, it is more then enough for birthdays in my opinion. Not sure about the subscriber specials, i guess that wouldn't hurt to mention and congratulate those to support them in their animating career. We could make it a congratulation column, where we make the writer introduce the person and afterwards let the person himself have a few words on his own if he wishes.
    freedom to write about a topic - I guess i will leave an option in the application for those who have unique ideas to write about anything they want, if we like the idea we can accept it.
    the "Off-topic" section - A general news column should do, shouldn't just be revolving around the off-topic section, it can be about the whole forum, as interesting topics can pop up anywhere.
    Giving WIP projects/collabs more attention. - I like this one. A "Projects and Collabs" column should do.

A few collabs have been going on, how about interview them about the progress? Here is some idea for collab articles:
    • It doesn't have to be an interview with the host only, you can interview the participants as well. It just fun to know how the participants thinks the progress is going. The progress, the management of the host, how the participant is doing in general, maybe? Good or bad, it will be interesting to read. This might also get a encouraging effect later on, as people would try to make good progress (hopefully) when the collab progress and stuff are revealed to the open.
    • And btw, interviewing the host can be done several times, and not just once. It can serve as a sequel and people will look forward to the next article to see how this specific collab has been progressing. If the content is good enough, you have an article - if not then screw that.
    • Ask the hosts for preview images! That's actually a very tempting idea that I find can brighten the article!
    • Collabs going on that could be interesting:
    • There are also a Smash Game project going on!
    These ideas also gives the collaboration more interest and attention. Unless the host gives an update every now and then, we hardly get any update on how the progress go, and when we get it's just "the collab is not dead blabla".

Other suggestions
    • I suggest to take things slowly. Don't go for an article each week or so. Start with like 2weeks or maybe even a month since you are working alone now. Some writing every now and then and you should have an article done in a month. And if you are looking for making a team again... be more picky choosing team member this time...
    • Start writing small articles! Sometimes it's just not possible to get a long article done, and we just have to accept that. Start slow and small and aim for bigger progress! I don't mean that the team should be writing about every animation being posted or every single off-topic thread. The team should set the bar and what kind of articles are worth posting. And what the consequences of the articles will be (politic reference lol).
    • Interview "famous"/"experienced"/"trendy" members of their future plan on their career. What project they are working and/or planning to work on. I personally are interested in what people got in their head! E.g. Who I can think of could be TheWind who just released his first episode of "WTF Adventures".
    • Research: A reported got the best nose! Sniff out stuff from members and from interviews in the form of PM or something that fits to your topic! Morale of the story; Don't wait for information to pop out, go dig them out! Most news and useful updates shows themselves in skype or discord chats first before even reaching the surface. Easier said than done, this won't be easy, I know :(
    • Anonym interviews: Sometimes, some people don't want to say specific things due to reasons, but you might find something interesting if you dig deep enough.
    • Like the very first "article", there was a question there to ask the open. If it was a question related to the medias of the community instead, I think it will be more relevant to the community. Keep in mind that while the News Team are not restricted to the activities in the community, it still have to be relevant to what we are doing here. In the article section, 3 out of 5 articles are gaming articles... Games are big inspiration to us all, but the article videos seems to cover more of the gameplay and updates rather than the art and animation itself. Rather than gameplay, I would be more interested in an article like this one. I don't want to get too into this as I actually don't listen to all of the gaming news. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.
    As you would bother asking your opinions, I think you are somewhat ready to get the team rolling good, hopefully. We haven't gotten an article by the team since November. I can't say the articles have gotten bombass attentions but that's how it is, it doesn't always start from the top. I hope this time you can build an example to the community and receive a worthy standing in the community!

I look forward to the articles! Good luck!

#2 Jaycie, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Juan. , Nemao, iSmokeToast and 6 others like this.
  3. Leliot

Leliot Pants Pocket Lint

You did it, ye! But before significant congratulation is the significance of the content you make, so let us hope for the opportunity to present itself, for people to tell you what they want so you can give them what they want because that is what you want to do.

As the news team leader and sole member, it is up to you to provide content that relates to and/or comments on the state of the community, whether it be full of content or deader than dinosaur bones. News is supposed to be current, present, up-to-date, keeping up, other synonyms for the here and now; however, that is not to say you can't revisit the past, as the past is what builds and shapes the present for the future, or something like that. What this forum is about is participation, and not just soulless posts of content and cnc, but the active attendance and performance of real people who come together to pursue similar interests and ideals to validate and accentuate what they're doing as fun and worth the effort. Thus it is an implicit duty of the staff, including or even especially the news team, to create complementary content that officiates and spurs further interest in the media that we produce. The reason that collabs and such projects are so popular is because many people have the opportunity to participate on one project and thus the interest is multiplied by the many different styles and ideas that stand together in sequence or in a mix of helping one thing even better than if just one person had done it. Thus, this forum and the whole enterprise of everything we do here is all one large collaboration with many less complicated and smaller-scale collaborations that make it up. So we must treat it as such, and we can't interest in this collaboration of ours without proper explanation, commentary, premise, ideas presented through the news team and other such mediums that can help everyone else.

(That's why banner events are so popular and likable and why I'm so frustrated that a banner topic that isn't about bringing them back but instead actually making one with a theme and participation and such hasn't been made yet, but that's besides the point).

However, there is no need for you to do anything to grand or super-noteworthy with every article you make, for that notion of perfection leads to high expectations that weigh down on your imperfect status of a human being that prevent any content to be made at all, which leads to anxiety and pressure from piers either real and/or self-made. It is not solely up to you either. You are simply the news team leader. News is the call to attention of various topics that you yourself do not create but instead find from what you see and what is sent to you to be considered. As the leader, your responsibility is simply to write about and organize this content for everyone to see, but that doesn't mean you have to work on everything yourself, as it is more or less everyone else's responsibility to create content to write about. And if there is no actual content, like animations or arts or whatever, then simply have text, or record yourself talking or whatever, podcast-kinda stuff or something. Or have informal interviews and survey/discussion things to get some kind of response. Being formal is professional and all, but hearing casual real-speak from people's hearts and true, unrestricted selves is pretty interesting. You could ask a whole slew of people about specific topics, general tips or words of wisdom about anything at all that people are interested in. Or post the question to everyone and have the topic speak for itself, though frankly the former idea seems more article-y. You could even ask people who don't go here anymore but have a few hours to spare about their time here, their words of advice, what they are doing now, because I think people are curious about those that made good stuff but decided to move on and what they are doing now and that kinda talk, although getting in contact with them may be a little difficult though.

Sorry if this is all vague and probably more of an off-topic rant, but that is how I express my ideas sometimes when I don't know exactly what to say but I know I wanna say something. Hopefully more people will respond and provide more specific requests instead of just acknowledging it as slightly as possible.

Hope to see some great stuff, and hope that you do well with finding content and members while balancing lifestyle interruptions.

Surani and iSmokeToast like this.
  4. iSmokeToast

iSmokeToast PRYR 36518444

already dropped you some tips over discord, i'm just excited to see surani back in the game

this is also a kind of tl;dr wrap up for the posts above me, thanks for the input guys @Leliot @Jaycie

cool, agreed -- we could have a monthly shout-out
    also, what do you think about nominating animations to go up on the mm yt channel as a form of positive reinforcement

do you mean like the studio ghibli thread i wrote, and idk about the off-topic could you show an example

sounds cool in theory but i don't think there would be much to say

personally i wish you got to the point a little faster but yeah this is a good suggestion

i mean i'll ask aidan again but this is pretty set in stone already

Jaycie and Surani like this.
  5. Jaycie

Jaycie Chop~

Monthly would be nice, I actually thought that every shout out would be every time an article got posted. That is only if there are work that are worth a shout out ofc. But that was the time when I thought the articles as a "News paper" with specific columns etc. Now, its more up to the Team to do what they think fits since I have no idea how the layout will be :P

I was thinking like thsee http://maplemation.com/threads/rant.31952/
    I thought that there would be a off-topic column in the "News Paper" (that I thought it would be). That column can give a summary to the actual thread on what the discussion have led to.

I think it depends on the interviewer and host. If the host doesn't want to reveal anything, then ok fine. The making of a collab is usually long. Getting "reports" every now and then can both let the members follow the progress of it and also hype us up, at least me. "There are questions like: How is the progress going? What is the expected result? Are there difficulties?" Anything that can give us information how the collab is progressing.
    Two or maybe three reports will do fine I think. Like "how is the progress going according to what you (host/participant) have expected?"

I myself haven't planned anything how it will be laid out and have no idea how it will turn out. Just brainstorming :D

Surani and iSmokeToast like this.
  6. Surani

Surani undying envy
    Retired Staff

@Jaycie @iSmokeToast @Leliot omg wow thanks for your responses

I agree with what you've suggested and I am truly appreciative of that! But, there are some suggestions I want to discuss.

OKAY SO. Interviewing was always a given when this whole team was established! It's just, well, to me. I think the response depends WHO I am interviewing. And well, I think reputation kinda matters here. p̶l̶u̶s̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶w̶k̶w̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶g̶u̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶i̶e̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶a̶s̶p̶h̶y̶x̶i̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶m̶y̶s̶e̶l̶f̶.̶ ̶

If there is an awkward atmosphere in the interview, then whoever's viewing will definitely feel that tension.
    Take this for example. That has a pretty casual energy, something that didn't involve too many technicalities and was easy to follow. I'm pretty sure that if I, myself, were to attempt the same thing, it would flop. I don't know, this is probably me over-thinking like I always doooooooo, cos i suuuckkkkk

I can imagine myself being able to maybe be able to interview SOME of the participants and hosts for their respective collabs. Some, if not, none. idk idk nothings set in stone and you never know until you try right????? But, no, I sort of doubt that my personality (which is fucking ass btw) and response to social conventions will allow me to make a successful interview with some of these people.

also, the case with most of these people is that i have a really awkward past with them cos of me being a dirtty rusty piece of unfiltered human trash, and thats a huge barrier in my opinion
    like im talking really awkward
    if they end up being in the same call as me, ill literally start shaking due to me being afraid of relapsing and constant fucking reminders of my shitty behaviour in the past
    notthatanyonecaresorwhatever

but i'll see what i can do about that

i swear to god
    *cough*

Again, reallllly depends on the people. Like, only a few group chats would be welcoming and stuff, but most have the right to be suspicious when someone outside their circle suddenly starts asking dumb questions or watches for too long. I mean, I could imagine something like

me: oh um h-hey
    someone: WHOS THIS FAGGOT FUCKING DICKHEAD WHAT KIND OF SHIT NAME IS SURANI WTF DO YOU THINK YOURE DOING HERE YOU PIECE OF SHIT KILL YOURSELF YOU FUCKING DISGUSTING WASTE OF SPERM CANT EVEN TALK NORMALLY IN A GROUP CALL THE FUCKS WRONG WITH YOU RETARDED SHIT
    -kick-

Or something along those lines.

tl;dr I'm a awkward adolescent who's probably too harsh on himself being, himself, but constantly relapses back into a state of anxiety whenever reminded of the puke fest that was my past, but you never know til you try these things even if a small part of you knows whats going to happen.

thanks again for the suggestions guys.

7. Jaycie

Jaycie Chop~

Will a written interview solve your issue? Maybe chatting instead of verbal interview can solve the awkwardness? I think you should find a way to go around it so you don't miss the chance :D For the content Surani! Do what needs to be done xD!

Reading all this, it seems like your mental state is the problem. Now that's NOTING wrong! You seem to hook up on your past reputation a lot. This is a barrier that you must overcome. It will mean a lot to what kind of result the News Team will provide, but more important is it will affect you a lot as a person. I suggest you just let it go and start to make progress with yourself as a person :D! I have no idea what kind of weirdo you are describing yourself as though.
    We all have different difficulties about talking to people. Hell, I would be nervous too. But that's something that comes with experience. As you get experience, I'm sure you will get the confident as you progress! I think its essential to be positive and accept whatever weird stuff can happen.
    Something will definitely or most likely go wrong as you progress, and that is also an experience. It's best to face them! I'm sure all the downhills is necessary to help you become a great leader of the team <3

Yes, it does matter. And with the position as a leader of the News Team, there are no other guy more fitting to do it <3

I agree what you are worrying about in the research part. I have no idea either how that can be solved in private group chat, sadly. I was thinking more like in public chats. It will be difficult to get into details as you described. But the least you can gain from those chats, is what kind of topic is hot. It will provide you with material and suggestion topics on what you can write! :D

Surani likes this.
  8. Surani

Surani undying envy
    Retired Staff

okay man i shall swallow my insecurities and pave through the awkwardness, and if there is any, it's probably me just over-thinking

hahah that made me chuckle, thanks for that jaycie man
    honestly idk man, im probably just hung up on how the characters in question still feel about it; you know that whole, 'my insecurities are something they're judging me on' dealie
    that's probably not the case XD
    but yeah, i gotta really move on from that lol, giving me a really bad mindset
    drafting some ideas as we speak, will they do well? who fucking knows, no harm in trying
    thanks again (Y)​

Jaycie likes this.
  9. Jaycie

Jaycie Chop~

^I'm sure you will do fine! :D Get well prepared for such thing! Research on the net on how to do it, make well prepared plans, think of the consequences blabla you know all that cuz u are a smart squirrel :D <3 !

Surani likes this.