1. Guest, you may notice that chatbox is not here anymore. Use the Discord chat instead! It’s way more popular these days, Grandpa!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion: Dead collabs

Discussion in 'Bugs & Feedback' started by Taki , Dec 14, 2015.

1. Taki

Taki I look good sometimes
    Retired Staff

The recent threads from the moveset collab prompt me to think about this.

I wish people would start not giving up on projects that have that much potential and nearly finished parts. Instead we could start putting them on ice, so in future instead of starting new projects we could revamp the dead ones with the most potential.
    It would be time efficient if we manage it correctly.

I am thinking of a sub thread in the project section called "projects on ice" and have the animation team evaluate those projects to pick the next collab, depending on the amount of finished parts and potential.
    The leaders of frozen projects will then be replaced by new ones from the AT, while they can take co-leading position. Of course only with their agreement.

So uhm, start discussing.
    Is it okey for everyone?
    Are there already any dead projects you already see in this category?
    Is it okey for those who are currently leading a collab to give their leading position to am more capable member in case they can't continue?
    Animation team, what do you think of doing this?

Unforgiveable and Hunter like this.
  2. PeaceTheAOD

PeaceTheAOD That one VFX guy who make shiny things™️

Sounds like a good idea to me, might make the animation team more active and I think it could bring back some REALLY cool collab ideas that have been scrapped in the past

3. Drew

Drew
    YouTube Contributor

I think @Marasu and @Danny McLofi Derps might have a few words on the matter..... -nudge- -nudge-

I mean, i'm all for this idea, but wouldn't it be better til we waited till after the BIG collabs are over?... Like.. in early 2016?

#3 Drew, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Blez and Yegor141 like this.
  4. skies

skies Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

I can say first hand, its hard to participate in a collaboration without a participating leader. This is one of my reasons why I dropped Smash Pig 2 and decided to work on it as a stand alone project. I am not saying Zack wasn't a good leader because he was, but honestly I don't see it just to work on something the host is not participating in. It felt like one of those Bosses vs Leaders ordeals and that was turn off for me especially since this was suppose to be for fun.

I also recommend more smaller roster/group collaborations like Aqullia and Zack rhythm heaven. If the roster is smaller than there's more responsibility on each individuals to contribute and work instead of hounding down 20+ members to check on progress. I believe hyun's dojo team consist of like 7 members max for most of the summoner showdowns.

Start small and work bigger.

5. Jaycie

Jaycie Chop~

I do agree, but personally think that the Dead project thread already works as such archive. The dead entries you speak of could be put together with their belonging project thread before it gets locked. I don't know if it will be easier to manage tech-wise, but having them in the same thread makes it easier to find.

Something to think about that pop'd in my mind:
    • Dead entries that died because of the collab itself died are the only ones that's worth to consider into account. No matter how many the collab gets restarted, people who died off their own could always drop again.
    • P.S. about "potential entries"; Even if there are a lot of unfinished entries in the sub-thread, there is no guarantee that those people will finish it if the collab was to get revived. Therefore I won't restart a collab with the mindset that those unfinished entries could be a thing. Only "potential of the collab" should be the main key.

chris bluefire and skies like this.
  6. Taki

Retired Staff

Interesting, I didn't even know Smash Pig 2 is working that way. We should still stay neutral on it till we can see the results, in my opinion. Some things can work better with a boss.

Let's say you only have a fridge and a trashcan and you get so much food that your fridge is constantly full and it forces you to trash food that didn't expire yet. It would be a big waste. So how about buying a freezer and put the food you might want to eat later there.
    I don't agree that having them in the same thread would be easier, i mean, we would filter the dead projects that died for good reasons from the projects that died because there are currently bigger projects and it doesn't stand a chance against them. That leaves us with only the projects that are worth to be evaluated and revived.

That's what i'm talking about. That's why i want to be able to differentiate from collabs that died because it never got a chance, from collabs that had a chance and people didn't participate anyway.

True, good point. But there is a chance that their motivation comes back when they see a hype rising up, but there is also the chance that they lose all interest after showing their unfinished part. I agree on having the potential as the main key, but projects that already have many finished and unfinished entries are almost as important, as they would be the most time efficient.

Jaycie likes this.
  7. Dan Derps

Dan Derps HAHAHA.

Hi.

As you know, I've had two collabs that I've started and both of them became forgotten projects.
    I never intended to end them, as a matter of fact, i intend to make both of them happen in 2016.

Creative collabs probably could come out, but there's such thing as lazy animators and people who have lives.
    In both cases of my collabs, I had some lazy animators.
    Not only that, but a bunch of the animators had some life issues and just decided to drop out because they lost interest.
    It's much harder to make collabs when your people who are participating never seemed very interested in the first place.

Creative projects definitely need more recognition because there are people in this community who have the greatest ideas,
    but people won't give them the time of day to try and help their ideas to happen.
    (hints why most people go to collabs run by more popular people rather than the lesser experienced, even if the lesser experienced ideas are much better.)

Trust me.
    These people would love to start their animations collabs back, if people would be willing to help them make the projects and jump on board.
    don't ignore the great ideas made by these animators. because they could burst into the biggest of projects.

P.S. i made a thread about bringing back one of my old collabs and asked people to pm me if they wanted to join.
    :^ )

8. Taki

Retired Staff

I think you missed my point of having project leaders who "failed" be replaced by more capable ones from the animation team, while they can take a co-leading role.
    Question is if members like you would be okey with that, for the sake of having your creative projects finished.

Dan Derps likes this.
  9. Dan Derps

Dan Derps HAHAHA.

i'd be okay with it. as long as newer, and more creative collabs get produced, i dun care who makes it.

Taki likes this.
  10. Warren

Warren Change: Beetle

That was my fault kinda on the Moveset Collab.
    We sorta lost faith in it after a friend pointed out to me that our characters' best shit shouldn't be all slapped out in a collab while some mob just sits there in place and takes it.
    It just seemed real dumb to me after I heard that.
    Also, nobody else was joining besides a couple of people who were really lazy and got kicked out anyway.
    I said it was a Perpetual collab but we allowed other people in, and I advertised the thing everywhere but nobody really cared.
    Though for the most part, I think people on Animation Team might be too busy, a lot of them are OMM people or they are just dead from my knowledge.
    Try having a thing where people can apply to be temporary hosts for collabs if the original one isn't good.

Almost like applying for animation team, you have to say how you have leadership experience, if you have collab experience, and talk about yourself a bit.
    Gathering opinions from other members on how organized they are or how reliable they are as a person would help too.

11. Taki

Retired Staff

Don't worry, i'm not blaming anyone who gives up on their collab for whatever reasons. Just trying to make work like yours feel less like a waste.

I like your idea of having members apply for project leader, although i wouldn't want to make a team just for that... i need to think more about this. Some faction leaders are successful in leading smaller collabs, so they could prove having experience, maybe i should think in that direction.

Yegor141 likes this.
  12. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D

Im going to say this plain and simple

Don't quit on something you started.
    I learned that lesson a while ago.

But my suggestion is for more collab socialization between the members of the collabs.

Skype calls, Multiple join.me sessions, short intervals in between progress checks. And if this goes against collab rules Them whoops, but share your parts with your fellow collabs members for cnc. Or even a friend for an opinion from the audience's view.

Because form what I see. Animation calls and what not do seem to work wonders.

CCshinobi and Yegor141 like this.
  13. Epicness182

Epicness182 Hi, I'm here.

I think it's a fine idea that helps out collab participants.

If the, "Project on ice" does pass you may need a new rule or statement saying something like,

"If you decide to quit your collab it will be moved to the revamp section where the art/animation team will find a replacement host to prevent
    participants work from being wasted."

Kinda like terms and agreements for collabs or just another rule.
    Atleast that way, a collab host will know what they're getting them selves into, and won't freak when their collab still lives on without them.
    Credit to original host for the collab idea would be nice too.