I'm a part time animator for fun.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Retrosleep, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Retrosleep

Retrosleep Newbie

Hey, I'm Retrosleep and I have always enjoyed the Collab's that have come out of this website, so I decided to join and hang around to see things unfold. I have been animating since 2009 and am an avid Newgrounds member. I also run a Youtube Channel. If you don't want to leave MM I just started a gallery thread to show my animations, and I hope it starts some good conversations.

Other than that for work I am a freelance Illustrator and have been running that sorta gig into the dirt for the past two years or so, I mostly do small things for start up company's and blogs. I have never done any work for a game or animation company. So basically I draw clip art instead of concept art lol.

I have occasionally done animation work with other Youtubers

I am a huge Nintendo fan. I am really good at Super Smash on Wii U. I also like MMORPGS but I have been very discouraged with everything since Aion crapped out and every new one I have tried has tanked in the same way. Oh! I used to play a lot of League of Legends, I was Gold in Season 3. I don't really care for the game that much anymore though.

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

I guess that's more than enough to say for now. I hope to get to know everyone around here soon. :D

Cheers.

2. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

Drawn animation. In a sprite forum??

What nonsense is this?????

Loljk man. Welcome to maplemation and I'm already loving your stuff from what I saw in the gallery. Just a bit of work on some movements and you will be Good to go!

3. Drew

Drew
    YouTube Contributor

Hey man, you've got some really nice work, there : )
    Welcome to MM. Have fun, relax, and i hope you enjoy your stay ^^

4. Retrosleep

Retrosleep Newbie

Thanks!. I really like to see new things, and sprites is something I have never gotten into, so that's why I'm here. Maybe I'll be able to trade my drawing tips for spriting tips or combat animation tips haha.

I think I will. I have been around a long time and have never joined a community before, everyone here seems great so I'm really excited about it. Thanks.

Drew likes this.
  5. Taki

Taki Kuulas enthusiast
    Retired Staff

Do i smell a new potentially great spriter?
    You have really cool stuff. If you want to learn how to sprite, you already got the most important part, drawing. It's only a matter of getting along with pixels, which can be difficult for some as it is basically making art with the lowest quality possible. But it's fun in it's own way. I'll give my best when you need any tips in spriting.
    Make yourself comfortable here.

6. Retrosleep

Retrosleep Newbie

Thanks. I tried doing a custom pose with a bit of modding earlier today. Working so small is strange. I wanted to ask what the right sub board is for me to post a progress thread on building my MBR character sheet. So I would be posting custom poses and items and stuff. I'd probably want to blog a bit on how I'm going to set up a rig in After Effects for the character too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Now that I'm looking at it, I have so many stray pixels that need to be fixed.)

Virgil and Taki like this.
  7. Bakari

Bakari Veteran Membah'

COLLABORATION WITH SEXUALLOBSTER!??!! You're immidiately cool! Welcome to MapleMation, where dreams are crushed and sometimes free ice cream.

8. Retrosleep

Retrosleep Newbie

Awesome. I'm hoping to do more with him in the future if he gives me the chance. He is one of my favorite animators of this era. I just gave you a sub over at YT I like what you got going on too. Do you make your MS animations in After Effects? I'm looking for someone to share some start up knowledge with me.

9. Bakari

Bakari Veteran Membah'

I make the raw animations in Flash and the backgrounds and the camera works in After Effects. Feel free to ask me anything anytime!

10. Retrosleep

Retrosleep Newbie

That's really similar to what I do with my cartoons already. I was going to try all AE for MS but I'm okay with still just using flash.

So for a question how do you like to set up your characters in flash?

I was thinking about having at the minimum the Head, Body and Outer Arm or at the most having the Head, Torso, Legs Outer Arm and Inner Arm as separate graphics with all the sprites individual limb poses loaded on the timeline. Each frame would relate to a complete pose. So for example if you set each graphic to frame 3 that would set the character to the jump pose, but you could also mix and match poses this way too.

11. Bakari

Bakari Veteran Membah'

The way I work with my sprites is usually just simple transitions from the premade poses and custom poses, that's what most of the people do around here. Body part animation (the technique you mentioned) in this community is used almost exclusively for cinematic/dialogue scenes, while the generic fight scenes usually use the previously mentioned technique. Of course body part animation can be used during fight scenes, but it can slow down your combat and not show as much impact as pose to pose animation.

If I understood correctly you want to have separate sequences in different frames in a graphic file and then choose the "single frame" option to choose the pose you currently want? If so... sure do that if that is what you are comfortable with, but I think that most of the people around here simply just create a folder in the library with the essential resources and then use the swap option between symbols to simply change separate body parts.

12. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

SPRIIITE SPRIIITE SPRIIITE SPRIIITE

Retrosleep likes this.
  13. Retrosleep

Retrosleep Newbie

Yeah you understood me more or less. I was talking about just swapping from pose to pose within graphics and breaking up the poses as full limbs (No Tweens Just graphic swapping) so you could Frankenstein poses on the fly. For example you could use the run poses/frames on the legs while you use the two handed attack poses on the upper body so now your character is running and swinging without you having to make new full body poses in another program and then import it in.

Just wondering if that sort of set up would save time in the long run. Might be something I could only find out if I actually did it.

14. Bakari

Bakari Veteran Membah'

Oh yeah I see what you mean. That's a pretty smart idea.

15. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

Ahh he is looking into the full body rigs ideas. We have someone who does stuff like that and his things come out great.

I'm sure you will be able to do just as good in no time.
    Question being, you looking into fast paced, or slower But more impact?

16. Retrosleep

Retrosleep Newbie

I'd like to do some sort of inbetween. I can't think of a perfect example but I would like to make combat similar to this

I have been making rigs for so long, I think I just try to find excuses to build them. So if I should be steering away from it this time around let me know.

#16 Retrosleep, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  17. NΣRO

NΣRO Guest

Hey man, I know a thing-or-two about impacts and fighting game-esque animation (based upon me studying fighting game sprites and hitstun ect.)
    Hmu if you need a hand w/ that, I can give you great examples n shit if you need.
    Oh and I'm Nero btw.

18. Retrosleep

Retrosleep Newbie

Thanks Nero. Sounds great, I'd be up to see some examples and have a chat about it. Send me a PM anytime you feel like discussing it. I'll be around, I just won't have anything to send to you yet. I't's gonna be a little while before I try to animate my first bash or combo.

19. skies

skies Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Maplemation! I did a bit of lurking around on the forum and on your other social media sites. You're extremely knowledgeable in the medias you use there is no question of doubt about that. I am definitely looking forward to seeing new works from you and learning from you too.