1. Before participating in Maplemation Battle Royale, make sure you are familiar with the system. Happy battling!
  2. Guest, you may notice that chatbox is not here anymore. Use the Discord chat instead! It’s way more popular these days, Grandpa!
    Dismiss Notice

Laze vs Gears

Discussion in 'Art Arena' started by Lazy, Dec 11, 2014.

?

Who will win!?????????

1. Laze

93.3%
  2. Gears

6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazy

Lazy Laziness at it's finest

Theme: Winter/Christmas
    Media: Digital
    Due Date: 4 days
    Laze
    Laze's work
    [​IMG]
    Gears
    Gears's Work [​IMG]
    Make the best artist win!

2. Laze

Laze Newbie

Oh man. This is it.

Good luck and thank you for offering me this first MBR, it was a pleasure doing this with you man.

CCshinobi and Lazy like this.
  3. Thewindyfan

Thewindyfan I'm too slow for this shit

Both had some interesting perspectives, but I'm going to vote for Laze. Just, wow. Stupendous quality in my opinion.

4. Bugspray

Bugspray Pesticide.

Voting Gears

Laze: I liked your shading a lot, and that moonlight was a very nice touch. However the rug near the campfire irritated the hell out of me, I felt as though the way it was shaped killed your perspective in that particular region.

Gears: I liked how you placed your shadows, and the simplicity in general just won me over. Also out of curiosity is the the brown object near the person in red a bench or a toboggan? Ihonestlycanttell.

5. Lazy

Lazy Laziness at it's finest

It's a sled. :) And thank you!

6. HappyFace

HappyFace Cha' Cha'
    Retired Staff

Laze: Great job! I liked most of what i saw, the concept of the drawing was very familiar with the classical innocence of children stalking up for Santa. There was some lighting sources that were off, actually quite a bit of them didn't have proper lighting like Santa and the little ornaments on top of the chimney. There was a lot of disproportional areas like the girl's head angle and Santa's really small arm and really big hands lol. Other than that it would be mostly my personal opinion, like I don't like how you did the palette and how not dim the chimney was. Other than that, like i said great job!

Gears: Kinda disappointed on how simple this was and how some of the perspectives are jacked up (like the second door to the left is larger than the first one) , just the lack of shading like the lack of mostly everything.... and those weird black beams below the presumable snow, i hoped for more in general.

Voted for Laze
    Hope the best for the both of you

Laze and Lynus like this.
  7. Lynus

Lynus R.I.P Reginald.
    Retired Staff

Laze takes the cake for me in this one.

8. LeoV

LeoV gone
    Retired Staff

laze:
    it's really flat at some points. the airbrushed shading doesn't help much. having two light sources probably was hard to manage, and you didn't really follow them that much.
    compositionally i feel it's kind of off, don't really like how the kids are placed in there. it lacks some dynamism although it's not really meant to be a super dynamic piece so it's ok.
    i like the idea of the piece but i feel it could have been pushed more. could have made them be waiting behind a wall, taking a small peek at santa leaving gifts. they could have been in the foreground and darker to contrast more with a bright santa. idk.

gears:
    lackluster. it's interesting how you have the vanishing point at the star but you didn't really emphasize it that well. some elements arent properly aligned to the axes they belong in giving this odd flat feel to it, even though it was meant to be a strong piece perspective-wise.
    the tree is also very under-detailed which is strange since it probably was meant as the focal point. it's kind of muddy/blurry.
    not much to say about it otherwise. again, it's lacking.

not sure about this one, probably gonna go with laze though.

Laze likes this.
  9. CCshinobi

CCshinobi Director, Actor, Forum Moderator

Laze, you started your first MBR as a new member with a senior member...you have far more courage than me >_<

Not to mention this artwork is truly astonishing. I LOVE your brushwork dude; it kinda gives this surreal vibrance which totally befits the idea of these two kids witnessing Santa Claus. That little touch of chiaruscuro is lovely too. Great correlation between theme and style :D

Gears, I really like your snow effects and your ambition for perspective. The reflections on the ground are pretty cool, assuming that's ice and not...well, snow. I just don't recall snow reflecting images like that :/

Anyway, being not much of a drawing/painting artist, I'll leave criticism to the others. Nice match guys, good luck to both of you!

Laze likes this.
  10. Laze

Laze Newbie

Oh boy.

Thanks a lot for the sweet comments and pertinent feedback. I expected to improve by doing MBRs and in the end, I was right. I will surely put this CnC to good use in my next work. :]

ALSO. I noticed the profiles link are not in the original post so I'll just leave them here. (I guess that's better than nothing, sorry for the inconvenience.)

- Gears -
    - Laze -

11. Lynus

Lynus R.I.P Reginald.
    Retired Staff

Congratulations on the win Laze !
    Your points will be awarded shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.