1. Guest, you may notice that chatbox is not here anymore. Use the Discord chat instead! It’s way more popular these days, Grandpa!
    Dismiss Notice

MapleStory and...SAO? HUH!? O_o

Discussion in 'MapleStory Talk' started by CCshinobi, Sep 11, 2014.

1. CCshinobi

CCshinobi Director, Actor, Forum Moderator

Hey guys!

I apologize for not being active lately like I usually am...but I just thought I'd share this since one of my friends did on FB.

It's been roughly 4 years since I've stopped seriously playing the game MapleStory. My assumption is a lot has changed.
    Clearly, after reading about events like THIS, it has.

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/updates/update-highlights/00I1h/v-154-sword-art-online-update-highlights
    ...I mean...I guess I'm cool with it, since I enjoyed Sword Art Online (to a certain extent) but...this leaves me many questions.
    When did they start hosting anime theme events!? Why SAO in particular? And how did they even earn the rights to integrating this kind of licensed content?

Well, I'm kinda confused LOL...let me know what you guys think.
    Just please don't start any stupid anime or Nexon flame war though...the last thing I need is to lock my own started thread .__.

2. TheWind

TheWind Returned kinda

WOOOOOW. THAT ISNT AS COOL AS I THOUGHT IT WAS. Man all they are doing is making a dungeon and character sprites -__-. i thought they were gonna do some shit like....Idk Something like SAO. LIKE THE FKIN NERVE GEAR. DAMMIT MAPLESTORRRYYYYY!!!

3. Venester

Venester Newbie

I don't like sword art online that much from a critic's point of view. It isn't the best written work of literature, but it makes up for it with its action I guess.

Wear as having a maple update for it? I mean it's fanservice but the sprites look cool, and there's a new dungeon...So I guess it's okay. 8/10

4. Ryonari

Ryonari Newbie

We know Mabinogi already got an update related to SAO (because of "Ultimate Anime Summer"). Kinda like how they had a Vocaloid event a while back.

It'll probably be as disgusting as that. Considering that this tactic would only attract people who like that anime and/or want stuff involving the update. More "exclusive" items, buffs, and accessibility to certain places to mere clones of the same thing. At least, that what I think of Maplestory is now as a game. Everything's just handed out to you on a silver platter with a heaping side of grinding.

Lynus and CCshinobi like this.
  5. Dally

Dally Reference Addict

No fanfic-level dialog quests? Oh well, I suppose it'll be something to do for collectors.

6. KitKatxz

KitKatxz Senior Membah'

I hate SAO and i don't play maplestory.
    This is great NEWS :D

7. Nani

Nani Veteran Membah'

All I can see is desperation. Using Sucess/Hype anime to make more money in RPGs.

Bugspray likes this.
  8. Paul

Paul Guest

Why are you so late on everything.

9. Collin

Collin Oppai REEEEEEEEEEEEfender
    Donator

>When HAVEN'T they derived game content from anime?
    >It was only the single most popular anime of 2012
    >They're kind-of a big company, so they probably bought a share of the rights.
    btw this happened a long time ago in JMS so it isn't a new thing. Like Paul said, you're pretty late on this.

Let me just grab this out real quick:
    [​IMG]

This event was so ugly and awful in JMS, that it's just gonna ruin GMS as well. That's my opinion, anyone care to comment? :)

CCshinobi likes this.
  10. CCshinobi

CCshinobi Director, Actor, Forum Moderator

The news on the NA website is dated September 10th. Yesterday. I haven't been following JMS (or MapleStory in general) much nowadays either.
    Sorry my indirect receiving of information via friend on FB does not meet your expectations >_<

Really? :O
    This is the first time I've heard an anime integrated into MS...directly by name and character at least. I know there's probably been a lot of concepts of weapons and stuff taken from other shows, but it's kind of strange for me to publicly see an official show title over a game. Guess I've been out of line with the community for a while :/

I've been out of touch with anime for a while too. I think I watched SAO eps 1-25 like...last month. The last anime I watched before that was Code Geass....in 2010 D:
    I guess it's understandable if this is more of a marketing strategy. If it keeps my childhood game alive, then I don't mind :P

11. Thatch

Thatch The Cheese Master

The skills of the job look pretty sick tho.

12. Pochi

Pochi Newbie

Well, i'm not sure how long ago it was but they implemented Steins;gate in maplestory.
    I think they should continue with these additions.

Lynus likes this.
  13. Thewindyfan

Thewindyfan I'm too slow for this shit

^ tbh I don't care that much bc I barely played MS but if that means we somehow get access to cool new sprites, then I'm innnnn

But idk never saw a lot of games myself do stuff related to what got popular, unless you count club penguin when I was like 9 lol.

14. Lynus

Lynus R.I.P Reginald.
    Retired Staff

If you pop around in BS4 you can find alot of anime stuff, like Pochi said, you get K-On, Steins;gate, SAO, Naruto ((lol!!), and ive seen some hairs from like other games that ive seen cahracters from but idk the actual name of the game etc
    But I think its just

"Yo, this will drag in people money"
    "Okay, lets ask if we can make stuff for it"
    "They said yes"
    "Cool"