MBR - Ethan vs JackBowser

Discussion in 'Animation Arena' started by Big_Hands, Jun 22, 2017.

?

Who wins?

1. Ethan

2. JackBowser

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_Hands

Big_Hands Veteran Membah'

Theme
    Surprise attack, 10 seconds-ish (of action) max

Ethan

JackBowser

Trax, Amberling, Hunter and 13 others like this.
  2. jose117

jose117 latino animator video game fan

omg both are good but my vote goesssssss for jack he made more stuff a his animation

3. Taki

Taki Delete me
    Retired Staff

finally someone used that sword <3

Tra-La-Tracey likes this.
  4. Shulkle

Shulkle Remembered as the worst fight animator

Probably just my preference, but I'm going with Ethan.

I found much enjoyment looking at Ethan's animation and small cinematic shots. The realism of the heavy naginata was also a really nice touch, with the slow rigging and preparation. Although, the ending slash could have been better. Probably a better reaction from Jack aside from, well, what you did with flipping him in a pose. I did hear you got a big animation block on it, so I won't harp on it.

Bowser's animation obviously seemed to have more content and ideas, but my main gripe about his animation is the crazy amount of envelopes in everything. Punches, dashing, that tornado to tossing Ethan especially. I know it can save time and all, but it just looks really bad when used way too much. Everyone seemed as if they were moving like jello and at the same time, a strong force of the cam and impact. It's very debatable. though it just really didn't sit well with me.

Nevertheless, I think this was a great MBR! Hope to see more from you guys~

#4 Shulkle , Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Tra-La-Tracey and Noz like this.
  5. Drew

Drew
    Sprite Team

An MBR between two 1st Gen veterans... Did Christmas come early?

Ethan: Simple, yet easy-to-follow premise. No serious issues regarding your concept. Just that it felt lacking in some areas
    This physics for this first jump are pretty wonky, especially considering he's visibly tweened left and right slowly upon descent
    [​IMG]
    And then immediately afterward, the next part of your map changes a bit in one frame. It's not a serious problem persay, but just be careful
    [​IMG]
    Lastly, I noticed in this part that the final swing has some rigging elements to it. And while I commend you for putting in that extra effort to make it flow smoothly, all that work ended up resulting in a slow anticlimactic hit that caused Jack to jitter for a second.
    [​IMG]
    Again, while I'm glad that you put in the extra work for fluidity purposes, it was an instance of focusing too much on the little details rather than delivering the "impact" that the final hit needed. I just think that something better could have been implemented, granted you had two weeks to make this. But these are just mainly nitpicks. You still kept on track nicely with the theme, and that falling perspective scene was pretty neat. Pretty good, nonetheless.

Jackbowser: Well polished and executed as always, man. I honestly don't know if I have any REAL problem about your overall animation but...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And for this part here, while I gotta admit I had a good chuckle from this scene, there's still no way he could have fit through this windshield
    [​IMG]
    What I would have done instead is kick him out through the door next to you or something.
    And speaking of that part, the glass shattering sound effect you used isn't anywhere near as powerful as it would sound in real life. I just think a more impactful glass shattering sound would have been better. But if anything, that's my only real nitpick, animation-wise. You delivered this well, and it warrants my vote for sure. Looking forward to the "more polished version" you mentioned in your description!

As I've stated, Jackbowser gets my vote for this one. Hot DAMN do I love a good 1st Gen MBR. Was pretty refreshing to see, and I gotta say, good job to both of you.

#5 Drew, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Garrett, Tra-La-Tracey and Chocofag like this.
  6. kirbyrishi

kirbyrishi What the hell am I even doin anymore shiet...

YOOOOOOOOOOO. ME RN:

I DUNNO IF I'M GONNA BE ABLE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE 2, THEY SHORT BUT THEY REALL GOOD TOO!:holymother:

Ethan's has them really good subtleties the 2.5D falling towards the screen, and that IMPACT when he hit was REAL nice, there wasn't a lot of moves but the moves you did do were clear and concise!

Jack coming back at it again with the combos! Man the fights you do are always so wacky and I absolutely love how you use your surroundings to add to the fight! The moves were real fast which makes for good combos! Though at times it gets a bit hard to follow with what's happening, but when ya emphasize an action (i.e when he catches that kick and goes for the spin throw) those movements really shine through!

Despite it being a short animation ya'll did a pretty damn good job!

It was a SUPPPERRR close call nd you guys had me thinkin for a solid 10 mins on this one but I'm gonna have to go with Jack on this one (I'm a real sucka for combos), but good job to both of ya!

7. I had a hard time voting because they're both so grand, but I decided on Ethan's
    because it had this somewhat realistic approach to things and something about it just clicked with me more than Jack B's. Although I will say that I enjoyed Jack B's more from a more comedic and action PACKED standpoint, the "surprise" was just him tweening in and head butting the crap outta Ethan, whereas Ethan's surprise attack had a lot more build up and direction seeing as how it's the theme of the MBR. Well done to both of you though, I loved both animations.

GL

8. Tooler

Tooler Legend
    Retired Staff

I thought jack's music was cool and his fast paced humor got me excited and made me laugh at the same time.

Good fight!

9. Neil

Neil "Oops"
    Administrator

Congrats on your win Jack.
    I'll update your profile soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.