[MBR] Neil VS Alex303

Discussion in 'Animation Arena' started by Neil , Mar 25, 2017.

?

Who will win this MBR?

Poll closed Mar 27, 2017.
  1. Pizzaman432/Neil

80.9%
  2. Alex303

19.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil

Neil "Oops"
    Administrator

Neil
    Animation
    Notes: "In an unreleased animation of mine, Dominic (Admin Delacroix) and I were having a fight and during that fight, I was forced to use a lot of power, that is what they are talking about at the table.
    I'll most likely be finished with that next month or the following month, not sure yet."

Alex
    Animation
    Notes: "hey guys i really enjoyed this mbr it showed me that i still need alot of pratice"

Vote fairly.

2. Miles

Animation Team

It was actually kinda tough, my vote goes to Neil; his was more polished, animation wise, and plot(?) wise. Alex had the start of a plot, but it was never resolved, really. More of a half-assed branch into something else.

Good job to the both of you, my vote goes to
    Neil.

3. Big_Hands

Big_Hands Veteran Membah'

I voted Alex. The fight choreography stood out more and I preferred his pacing to Neil's.

Tra-La-Tracey, Alex303 and Noz like this.
  4. Duo Bios

Duo Bios Ron.
    Retired Staff

Voting for Neil.

Not only was the combat in his part way more satisfying for me, but there was actually some attention to detail. On top of that, the sound design was miles better than what Alex303 implemented in his animation. What put the nail in the coffin for me was that Neil's animation had an actual conclusion instead of just being some generic half-assed cliffhanger ending like what was in Alex303's part.

My advice to Neil would be to focus on making the your motion and physics more consistent in your animation. (Like when Alex303's character got knocked out the building, the physics for that were really awkward.)

As for Alex, focus on making what actually transpires in the fight make sense. There was a part at 0:21 where Neil's character shot an energy blast that just vanished without anything even happening. (The spoiler in the post below mine shows where your character's head just disappeared.) On top of that, your sound design needs MAJOR work. For how intense you're trying to make the action seem, the sounds you chose for it were dull, unfitting, and unappealing. Same goes for the effects you chose, like here for example. There's just nothing tasteful about it.

For what it's worth, you did at least put up a good fight. Keep it up, Alex303.

Glad to finally see an actually decent MBR for a change.

5. Maniac

Maniac A Maniac

Both of these were really good!

Neil you already know how I feel about your part, good shit.

Alex you really surprised me with your part, but there are lots of flaws in there that could have been fixed up easily. Here's one of em.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah..
    But nonetheless good shit both of you but I did say I was going to vote honestly. Alex you put up a really good fight, I'm proud of you. I'm going to have to vote for Neil.

#5 Maniac, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  6. Noz

Noz NPC

I'm really torn between the two because both were as great!
    I picked Neil because of the overall quality of the video. Alex, you still did a great job on it! The approach of it was very interesting, but the quality of the sound and the minor details kinda got in the way for me LOL. I hope you understand!
    but anyways, Alex keep animating because you're doing very well so far and I'm excited for more content from you! And Neil.. tell brook I said hi LOL. djsafkhdasjkf (Keep up the cool work! Really enjoyed how smooth it came out overall!)

Tra-La-Tracey, Alex303 and Neil like this.
  7. Epicness182

Epicness182 Hi, I'm here.

I liked both animations,
    Comparing the two, Neil has a certain something, camera effects? Quality? Not sure what is.
    It was more appealing.

However, personally I voted for Alex because I enjoyed his fight more due to the balance in pace, compared to super fast pace dash here dash there.
    Nothing bad about it, just a personal taste. Nice Job you two!

Tra-La-Tracey and Alex303 like this.
  8. Ciax

Ciax women be shopping

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i don't even know what to say about that

anyways, my vote goes to neil.

Even though Alex made an overall longer fight animation, Neil has much better consistency of different impacts and balances it nicely with his other combos. He put more effort into the details, made sure he could optimize the skills shown as best as he could, and made the most of what he had.

To be clear, I enjoyed Alex's animation. He actually had a lot of creative ideas not shown a lot in fighting animations, such as standing on Neil's sword, using Neil's scabbard sheathe as a weapon, and merging his ice skills. However, there were a few times where I had to triple-check a couple times to understand what had happened from one point to another - the 2D to 3D scene where Neil 'throws' his lightning bolt and crashes Alex was difficult to pick up on. It looked like Alex kinda just re-emerged into existence and popped into the middle of the screen with no clear reason as to why. A better indication of this would be to angle Neil's bolt throw so it's established to the viewer that we're now in a temporary three-dimensional view, and then show off the scene of Alex crashing. That's just an example, though.

Even though Neil's comboes are fast af and hard to keep up with, it's still kept at a pace that allows you to quickly reconcile what's happening and, more imporantly, why.

Great job to both of you <3

9. Kat

Kat Medicine keeper

Both animations were pretty good and I enjoyed dissecting them piece by piece.
    Neil:
    + The introduction created a story to this fight.
    + Smashing your opponent through the wall was a nice touch.
    + Smooth eye, body and hand movements in the talking section really make the characters lively
    + The fight was put together nicely, have no complaints
    + Soundeffects and music were picked out well, really liked the blocked attacks soundeffects.
    +/- It kinda has an ending with Alex exploding to pieces(if he didn't get teleported or something)
    - Introduction and the main fight ratio were almost 50/50. Would of enjoyed more fighting.
    - A little nitpick
    [​IMG]

Alex:
    +Enjoyed that the character poses and emotes changing when being attacked.
    +The music actually suit the fighting for me
    +Both characters weren't getting the upper hand. Managed to maintain equilibrium between the two fighters.
    +Interesting uses of perspectives(Seeing ice spikes rising and rocks falling around the village as if someone from outside the village sees this happening)
    +/- The 3D perspective when your character flew into the distance(would of been better if the character was zoomed into more, at 1st glance it seems to be fading into existence)
    - The font size looked slightly too big relative to the video size itself
    - No ending, just left with a cliffhanger.
    - A few little nitpicks over the details
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In conclusion I will give Neil my vote.

10. Kayas

Kayas The Indolent
    Animation Leader

People like Joey and Kat said what I already had to. Nonetheless, it was surprisingly difficult to watch at first. I had to rewatch Alex's twice until I noticed some tidbits. So, I'm voting for Neil, but Alex. You put up a decent fight, man. Take all the aforementioned criticisms into account and make a sweet comeback!
    ~Kayas

11. Bakari

Bakari Newbie

Best MBR 2017
    Also the only one?

Great animation tbh, liked both of them, even though I mostly hate sprite animations nowadays, really enjoyable.
    Don't really know who to vote for, but I'm leaning towards Neil, since him breaking that wall made me cum

Lynus likes this.
  12. BulbaWhat98

BulbaWhat98 Veteran Membah'

It was kind of tough for me, but I'm gonna go with Neil. While Alex's had more battling in it, Neil's was more intense imo. I liked the way the camera moved while he was fighting. Idk what else to say. Sorry. Both of them did great though.

#12 BulbaWhat98, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Alex303 likes this.
  13. Drew

Drew
    Sprite Team

Neil: Slick, well choreographed fight. Had an interesting intro, and the rigging during then wasn't too shabby either. I'd say my only nitpick is: After they both crash through the building, there could've been more opportunities for some falling/aerial combat rather than just killing Alex right away with one charged up kick. There could've been room for more combat ideas during then. But for what it is, I liked how it came out, gj man.

Alex: You've gotten a lot better, dude,your animation was pretty sweet. Having a longer fight than Neil is one thing you have over his animation, but then again, the "story" behind your part was pretty lacking in comparison to how Neil started his.
    But anyway, a few things:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And as for your ending, you could have at least had your character slash through Neil to finish him off. Would've worked a lot more than to leave it off on a cliffhanger.
    [​IMG]
    Just keep at it, man. It's totally apparent that you're improving upon yourself. Again, nice work!

I'm gonna have to go with Neil for this one. While shorter, his animation was much less flawed. Quality>Quantity.
    Nice job, both of you.

Alex303, BulbaWhat98 and Duo Bios like this.
  14. Craigster

Craigster Newbie

Wow, both animations turned out really well!

As much as I enjoyed seeing the longer fight and effects that Alex used, Neil's animation seemed more smooth and more fresh. There was more of an intensity and intrigue in his fight.

Congratulations to you both!
    [​IMG]

Alex303 likes this.
  15. Snoopierkid(Benji)

I voted for Alex, to Me he's animation stood out with his flow and style but no doubt that Neil was good too, it was tough for me too.

16. KingIke75

KingIke75 KingIke75

These animations are pretty good guys here's what i got to say.
    Alex:
    God damn dude, you've improved alot and I can tell you worked hard on this and it looks awesome. It seemed pretty smooth to me and had great pacing, though there is a couple things wrong with the animation, as said before the background is very pixelated which is bothersome to me, a couple of sound effects that either didn't seem right and ones that should be there, and those frames without the head were not good. But I do love how hard you worked on it, and i like the way it looks.This has got to be one of your best animations fam, keep it up!

Neil:
    Also this was a really dope animation. I like the fact that you had a story leading into the fight and it has a good plot and explains why Alex would show up. There aren't many flaws at all here it just wasn't enough combat in comparison to Alex, but was still pretty solid.

Overall, Neil has my vote. I gotta admit you both surprised me, and did an excellent job!

Good Luck on future MBRs guys!

Alex303 and Neil like this.
  17. Thewindyfan

Thewindyfan I'm too slow for this shit

I really liked both animations, but I just loved how fluid everything was in Neil's animation, so he gets my vote. Great job at being creative though, Alex, you did a hell of a job. I can PM you if you would like any detailed criticism on your animation. Good job to the both of you! It's been too long since we had an interesting MBR.

18. Thatch

Thatch The Cheese Master

(don't have time to completely analyze ur animations but I see u have enough CnC already)
    I really enjoyed Neil's animation. I like his style, nice flow, nice pace and I liked the map. (everytime I watch an animation from Neil I just get excited to animate myself xDD Maybe one day I can challenge you Neil... wait didn't you owe me an MBR?... wauw must've been a year ago)
    Your animation was pretty nice Alex tho I didn't enjoy it more then Neil's one. (Also the first jump of the blue powered up guy was pretty bad xd) but well done nonetheless ^^
    My vote goes to Neil

19. Duo Bios

Duo Bios Ron.
    Retired Staff

Congrats on extending your winning streak, Neil. I will award you your MBR point immediately.

Locking thread.

Neil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.