MBR: Shulkle Vs. RedTimez

Discussion in 'Archived MBRs' started by Shulkle , Aug 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shulkle

Shulkle Remembered as the worst fight animator

The 3rd MBR this season! 2 Animators creating a fast, action-packed fight, with fun music syncing theme! Check it out!

MBR: Shulkle Vs. RedTimez
    Theme: Synced Fight
    Due Date: August 12th to August 20th

Shulkle
    Animation:

Notes:
    Music sync is actually harder than it looks. Had to edit the sound quite a few times, but overall, it was hella fun.

RedTimez
    Animation:

Notes: I can't really put in too much effort because of college. Hope you guys like this anyways!

2. SwordGrayFire

SwordGrayFire Retiring Eventually

I watched both a couple of times to give my thoughts on this. It's hard since I love how smooth and well fluent Shulkle's animation is, and Timez's creativity with angled perspective shots. I can tell it was a pain from animating Shulkle's chain whip weapon thingy just by lookin at the separated pieces so it can be rigged.

Why I voted for
    Timez? I like how the two teamed up fighting mobs like it's a boss fight. Though the sync wasn't all super crazy with sounds like Shulkle's had, It was still pretty good for what you were trying to go for and sync at the same time which I give major props to. Makes me curious how this would've turned out if you didn't have college bugging ya hahaha.

Shulkle! Your animation is really fun to watch. I like the use of Red and Blue effects for your weapon. Fluent movement along with the jumps and using the grapple hook. A lot of really nice effects in this, and the Syncing to the sounds is spot on!

Great job to both of you!

Shulkle likes this.
  3. DeeJay

DeeJay Golden Member <3

Wow, nice work guys!
    I've never done Music Sync before so kudos for you guys nailing this song; SOUNDS like it was pretty tough!

Shulkle
    Always loved your animation style. The fight was crisp as hell and made for an entertaining 1v1; very good use of rigs and transitions. Loads of interesting details dropped into every shot, the attacks and use of characters natural weapons and abilities were a delight to see. I personally enjoyed the use of rapid fire attacks during the fast points of the song. I think you could've upped the volume a bit more, it was a tad too quiet ;) Nice job!

Timez
    I really liked the use of perspective and camera angles in your fight. The fast movements and scale of the background really fit with the use of this song: I immediately think "we better be moving fast as fuck rn", which was what was delivered. The song is played at a volume where it could be heard clearly along with the sound effects. Very nice.

Another tough MBR, but my vote goes to Timez. The camera movements and speed of the characters, as we as those perspective shots, sold me on your part. The fast paced song worked really well with your animation, as well as the precise placement of sounds effects. Well done.

Great work to both of you!

SwordGrayFire, Shulkle and Kayas like this.
  4. PizzaGuy579

PizzaGuy579 The Pizza Guy

Starting out by just saying I'm giving this one to Timez. Simply put I felt like his had a lot more going on with the different angles and choreo. Shulkle's use of rapid attacks to sync to the music was impressive, sure, but for some reason, it felt like it didn't have the impact it should've had, at least not to me. Red's sync felt way more meaningful and his sound design mixed with his actions and unique perspectives were what gave him the W in the end.

It looks like Timez up for Shulke.

My vote goes to RedTimez.

Shulkle and SwordGrayFire like this.
  5. Neil

Neil "Oops"
    Administrator

While I thought Shulkle's part was well animated, I think in terms of not only creativity but also actual syncing RedTimez did a better job. The only real complaints I have are that some of the animations that I've seen from RedTimez are pretty choppy looking. I think you should try to focus more on smoothing out a lot of your motions by adding more keyframes. It would help improve your animations by a lot.
    Vote goes to RedTimez.

Thewindyfan, Kayas , Hatim and 2 others like this.
  6. Hatim

Hatim Love Emperor

Shulkle's part feels more polished but the choreography feels rigid and by the book, can't say there was much going on that I haven't seen before. Redtimez's on the other hand is choppy and lacks anticipation in some attacks but the fight is a little more dynamic with some interesting perspective shots (I have no idea what's happening at the end screen there though), my advice is add a frame or two of start-up before having characters fly around.

A tough decision but I'm going with RedTimez. Flaws aside I had a bit more enjoyment from his animation.

7. Miles

Animation Team

This was a really close match, I swear; you guys are really putting in the work!

Both of your animations had a pretty dissatisfying endings - Shulkle's animation completely cutting off the music gave me whiplash, and RedTimez'; your ending could've been fantastic if you ended it with an explosion hitting the monster. Your ending left me hanging and cost you points for sure. If one of you guys had a more polished ending, the votes would look a lot different.

Shulkle, there were some parts in your animation that didn't feel exactly synced to the music; I like how you used gunfire to mimic the stuttering sound in the song, however. Redtimez, I really appreciated the rhythmic slash effects that you put in; I liked how you implemented the beat of various instruments of the song while staying on rhythm.

Great job to both of you!
    RedTimez gets my vote.

Kayas and Shulkle like this.
  8. WuYue

WuYue I need cup of tea

it's amazing! i really like someone did sync on the animation.
    Shulkle
    your part is good with Rigging,i really like that feeling.then the gun fire follow the target looks smoothly. good stuff!!
    Redtimez
    love u how to use different angle animated. when shulkle used chain to grab weapon that's wonderful!

Redtimez' get my vote,because the rhythm sound better than shulkle's part.
    maybe i'm not good at express my method,but great jobs both of you!!

Kayas and quentin galloway like this.
  9. Kayas

Kayas The Indolent
    Animation Leader

P-P-P-Perfect w to @RedTimez_M ! Congrats on the win. @Shulkle You made a clean animation and truth be told you both are insane monsters for syncing to brain power (seriously who would do that). Locking thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.