Practise character design

Discussion in 'Sprites' started by Thatch, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Thatch

Thatch The Cheese Master

Heyo ppl. been a while since I posted blahblah yes yes.
    I want to sprite sum more cuz I've been playing Duelyst and got motivated LOL. (letsseeforhowlongthatwillbe)
    I hope you can give me some advice.

Also, I made this in not too much time. I didn't have much time to research more into pixel art then where I left off a couple months ago. I just went into spriting this with a few references of other pixel art and for the left sprite I used a drawing of "Zael" a character from the game: "The Last Story"

As you can see I wanted to try some rather "simple" characters. I figured a good beginning to design my own custom characters was first start off with some small characters and stuff. Tho they're the jankiest pieces of pixels you've ever seen in your life most likely. Cuz I never draw characters. As you can see I am struggeling most with the body. Mostly the legs. Try giving me as much feedback as you want. Also if you think wether it is worth making these perfect before going to bigger characters or anything else. (This is not my first sprite ofcourse (notthatyoucantell...butImjustsaying))

[​IMG]

Also, sorry for the people that get annoyed by posting things that aren't complete yet. I want to work more on it tomorrow but I thought why not ask some feedback mid-way eh? thx in advance lel.

Tra-La-Tracey and Shulkle like this.
  2. Taki

Taki Delete me
    Retired Staff

i prefer 100% pixel art so i can explain while fixing but doesn't matter now.
    Legs at that size don't need much work, just do two straight sticks and they'll do the trick. The character on the right looks like he has a crooked back.
    You got inspired by duelyst sprites, why don't you mimic their style, small pixel art and black outlines don't mix well.

also the reason people do their palettes separately is to see which colors they can eliminate or change because they are too similiar to each other.

Tra-La-Tracey and Thatch like this.
  3. Thatch

Thatch The Cheese Master

Thanks ^^ I tried to do what you said. Mimicing the art style of Duelyst. It was going pretty well. Tho I think I might have used too many shades to make it look like it was actually a character from Duelyst. Tho I still like how this guy turned out even tho it is a small and pretty simple character. the hardest part was the "hair" from the helmet. Not sure how to make it perfect. So if there are any more suggestions by making this sprite better then I'd love to hear. I'll try to make a bigger sprite next time so that you guys can give more feedback hehe.... sorry ^^;
    100% [​IMG]
    500%[​IMG]