1. Guest, you may notice that chatbox is not here anymore. Use the Discord chat instead! It’s way more popular these days, Grandpa!
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with ACTION Today

Discussion in 'Pop-Culture' started by CCshinobi, Feb 20, 2015.

1. CCshinobi

CCshinobi Director, Actor, Forum Moderator

For a long time now, I've been talking to you guys through CnC as well as many of my friends who share the same major about my concerns with how a lot of action films, or just action in general, is made today.

Then my favorite YouTube film critic, Chris Stuckmann, made this video. I was so happy someone finally had the nerve to make this, because not only does it relate to my perspective, but provides an excellent, even more knowledgeable understanding with how action on screen is sold and why action in movies like The Hunger Games, Taken 3, Transformers, etc. FAIL to impress most audiences older than 13.
    Obviously, there are still some outstanding exceptions out there, but this video essentially explains problems with the ridiculous amount of mediocre movies, remakes, and sequels that have been pumping out lately.

He makes some really strong points, and whether you agree or disagree, there are some really accurate observations made that I'm sure will benefit you in some way as an animator or content creator in general.

It also uncovers some of the major misconceptions SOME of you guys have notably fallen for when animating fight scenes (such as having to add shaky cam for the sake of selling impacts). No offense.

Therefore, it is my subjective opinion that everyone here who's eager to improve in action and storytelling NEEDS to watch this. Pay attention and enjoy :)
    http://youtu.be/eac0lXfMs9c

If you don't know who Chris is, he's a passionate YouTube partner and a film critic who I truly respect and look up to, because unlike a lot of online critics out there, he actually went through film school himself and has the proper education and inspiration from professionals like Roger Ebert to know what he's talking about. Not like Jeremy Jahns, who is cool and charismatic, but has never touched film production or EVEN GONE TO COLLEGE!

Anyway, I hope you found it as intriguing as I did :)

On a side note, I apologize for not much activity lately due to school, but I resumed animating again last weekend and should have some more progress on my collab parts done before the end of this week. Stay tuned!

2. Lynus

Lynus R.I.P Reginald.
    Retired Staff

Hm, before I read the article I thought it'd be something straight out from BuzzFeed lmao.
    It's got alot of content, yes, things that everyone should note on, but things like the cliche-ness of stuff.. you can't really do anything like that with the limitations of MS animating. It's just mindless fighting that catches attention, there's no storyline for us to follow as much as a feature length film, you know ?
    Like a backstory of a chracter is mad, but what really catches us the most Calvin, is the like.. style and feel of the animation and animator.

Also, it's a 20min video of like boring voice.. it's really.. like.. oh boy.

3. Thewindyfan

Thewindyfan I'm too slow for this shit

Oh hey Chris Stuckmann! I love his reviews man, will check this out soon!

4. Taki

Taki I look good sometimes
    Retired Staff

That was pretty interesting and explained perfectly why it's so hard for me to enjoy most hollywood action movies. It's too hard taking those wannabe fights seriously after growing up with jackie chan and samu hong movies. Only acceptable actor for me is keanu reeves, i should check out tom cruise, never liked him for idk what reason but i keep hearing how good and dedicated he is with his job as an actor.
    I surely need to take a note on making my characters vulnerable and always keeping them on the edge of their capabilities.

Thewindyfan and CCshinobi like this.
  5. CCshinobi

CCshinobi Director, Actor, Forum Moderator

Gdamn it Rynus
    Bro you missed the major points of the video :/ From what I'm reading, it sounds like u pulled "TL;DR", listened to the first 5-7 minutes and left. Sry but u totally set urself up for failure when expecting Buzzfeed from ME LOL D:

No, I understand if you're not doing a series and just animating a short action bash not all of the narrative stuff applies to ms animation. However a lot of the content that you somehow missed during this video DOES...in fact he was not even talking about "cliche-ness"! He was talking MOSTLY about execution, or as you would call "style and feel" and the techniques behind it. c'mon man -_-

Just to name one, too many newb filmmakers/animators believe shaky cam is a necessity for selling fighting impacts or action in general. It really isn't, but there's a "style" and effect to it when used correctly and appropriately

Watch it again and if u still don't see the other points, let me know and I'll try to break it down :/

6. Thewindyfan

Thewindyfan I'm too slow for this shit

Also went into great detail as to how to make your action scenes more intense, or gratifying with the dynamic of the breaking point. Something I want to do and wish everyone would aim to do RIGHT with fight animations. Great share, missed watching some of his recent videos.

CCshinobi likes this.
  7. NastyVince

NastyVince Veteran Membah'

Someone already know how to add tension to her animation
    [​IMG]

Anyways yea I really liked the part where he talked about tension talking about tension and breaking point. I love reviewers, citics etc. who actually breaks apart stuff to elaborate points like these. Makes me appreciate movies a lot more.

CCshinobi likes this.