Rogue One was Booooooring

Discussion in 'Pop-Culture' started by Bakari , Dec 21, 2016.

1. Bakari

Bakari Newbie

Almost fell asleep in the theater, shit was stupid.

So like the story was fine, but the execution was so stupidly boring, none of the characters had any set personalities, they were just kinda following an ongoing theme, but once the characters needed to believe or have the courage to do something they did out of no where. This made all of them feel extremely weak in comparison to the other more established characters in the Star Wars franchise.

I know my friends liked it, but I thought that it wasn't worth the money.

SPICE and Sekka* like this.
  2. Shulkle

Shulkle Remembered as the worst fight animator

I watched it for the cool lasers and explosions c:

3. Kajiya

Kajiya The Forge God

tbh i saw the fucking trailer and thought to myself "This is where they fuck up, this is where they finally fuck up"

kinda blew like 200 mil $ on this for almost little to no reason.

4. Sekka*

Sekka* The Snake
    Retired Staff

Yeah, it was a big disappointment for me too. I just think that throughout the entire movie you just knew what was going to happen.

Also, why did Saw Gerrera just not go with them, he chose to stay and die instead of attempting to go and live? Why did they keep making decisions that would just obviously end in their deaths (Baze Malbus actually just walked in and died for no reason, even though I get watching his friend die would suck, I don't know if it would prompt "One man army mode"). I think that because we knew that these characters are rather never mentioned or seldomly mentioned after this movie takes place that they would most likely die in this movie, but most of the deaths seemed poorly written and just sloppy "insert death here" moments that completely ruined the movie for me.

It was an okay movie I guess, but it wasn't nearly as good as The Force Awakens, which is a shame.

5. iSmokeToast

iSmokeToast PRYR 36518444
    Retired Staff

my friends said that they've liked it more than TFA

i'll watch it later this week and see what i think

CCshinobi likes this.
  6. CCshinobi

CCshinobi Filmmaker, Animator

On the contrary, "blowing" $200 million to make a prequel to the largest money-making movie franchise in the world (which will probably make billions in return) is pretty undoubtedly reasonable lol

My Mini Review (Minor Spoilers):
    I personally really enjoyed it. Yes, the first act was generically boring, and the characters lacked strong development and personality, but the later half was pretty solid. Obviously, we already knew what was going to happen; it's literally advertised as the story of the team that stole the plans for the Death Star and ultimately got wiped out, prior to the original Star Wars trilogy. A lot of films with premises like this are more about the journey rather than the destination. The journey in this case was rough, but nevertheless exciting enough to watch.

What I liked most is that for once, there is an actual atmosphere of a 'WAR' in STAR WARS. The shootouts and space dog fights are some of the best in the series ever. There's an enormous amount of creativity with how Director Gareth Edwards captures giant, 'epic' visuals and gritty warfare; he's been known for that since Godzilla (2014). In general, Rogue One has a much more gritty, vicious style compared to previous Star Wars movies, with many battle scenes shot from the rebels' ground perspective facing against overwhelming odds. Things like rebel infantry under fire from giant AT-AT walkers along the open beach really help audiences identify with the dangerous situation as to 'how absolutely fucked' the heroes are. Most of the sympathy comes from this sense of impending doom, along with the built-up fact that many of these characters have lost something or have tried all their lives to do the right thing, and when they finally do, they end up dying and never actually knowing the outcome of their efforts.

This could be great for a sad story of loss and sacrifice. Unfortunately, where the film really stumped is in its shallow characterizations. Aside from a bunch of lost souls bent on hope for the rebellion, there wasn't anything particularly deep or interesting about the characters. For example, I love Donnie Yen, and I think he and Jiang Wen were awesome when kicking storm trooper ass, but we never actually learn much about their characters' personal relationship with the Force or why they are the way they are in the first place. The only fully developed, well-rounded character I can think of is maybeee Diego Luna's and the female lead, whose entire arc depends on the "runaway child experiencing father's death and becoming a heroic leader" trope. We've seen that shit since Lion King. Disney, please.

I think Rogue One has some really great moments with regard to its scale of epic warfare, character diversity, and visual spectacle. It just suffers from weak writing and a boring-ass, clearly uninspired first act that was supposed to make us care for Erso and Cassian more than I probably did. The Force Awakens had fewer, yet more interesting characters (Finn, Rey, Kylo Ren) than Rogue One's entire crew of rebels. Still, it's definitely worth a watch if you're into Star Wars and large-scaled 'epics' with a premise of inevitable death and sacrifice. Or lasers and explosions. There's always that audience too lol

7/10

Tra-La-Tracey and Bakari like this.
  7. Kajiya

Kajiya The Forge God

FUCK I am being picky about things that are small but they could of done better with a good amount of things that they have pulled off easily in the past which is my issue.

8. Hope robinson

Hope robinson Newbie

Personally I thought the movie was awesome, but I'm also a fanboy so...:D

9. SuperKimxD

SuperKimxD Space Case
    Retired Staff

I haven't even seen it, but goddamn I'm not surprised.

Tra-La-Tracey likes this.
  10. Big_Hands

Big_Hands Veteran Membah'

It's Star Wars what'd you expect lolol