SAI

Discussion in 'Sprites' started by Sai, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sai

Sai Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

Remaking my character sheet entirely from scratch. I didn't even use the head as a base for this. :fuckyeah:

Need some suggestions for poses/extra critique to help me expand and make this sheet fucking epic. :bawws:

http://www.iaza.com/work/101106C/iaza16905047513600.png

Please read all the comments before you give any comments/critique.

Also, I recommend, or it would be nice if someone began saving the poses I make for this sheet because I won't be doing it. Don't save the poses until I consider the poses officially finished. So far everything is WIP.

2. Exxo

Exxo Veteran Membah'

To be honest .. I don't like it at all.
    Why would you remake it anyway?

3. kwanchi96

kwanchi96 Newbie

Personally, I think it's cool how you made it more cartoonish, and it looks a lot better with the more colorful darker shades
    For pose suggestions, you could maybe make some poses where your claw gets destroyed and you can't really move at all. I mean, if it's even possible to destroy it. >_>

4. Nexus

Nexus Veteran Membah'

You could atleast explain why you don't like it.

Anyways.. the cape is too long in my opinion, shorten it down a bit.

5. Sai

Sai Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

I kind of like it that way, but I might consider shortening it.

Hmm..It's an interesting idea, but the claw is supposed to be almost like his lifeline so if it were to be destroyed, he would be pretty much dead or close to it.

Have you seen the old ones and compared these? The old ones look pretty crappy to me. I like it better now. It's more suiting to my current tastes. The sheet just bothered me like a bitch and I wanted to make one where it could be more smoothly animated, so I intend to make more frames than my previous sheet for when I remake some of the poses and such. Also going to remake the skills for smoother animating as well as making newer skills to add variety to his fighting style.

6. Exxo

Exxo Veteran Membah'

I see, it's indeed an interesting project.
    @Nexus:
    [​IMG]
    Might just be me though.

7. Sai

Sai Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

The hat isn't gradient. The line is part of the hat's sides' outline. As for the line that stands out, the top is separate from the pants so it requires a black outline. That's how outlines for equips work. The mask is actually misplaced and I was well aware of it. The mask placement just looked better that way. The mask placement in the old sprite sheet was off too if you didn't notice.

8. LuLA

LuLA Veteran Membah'

Lol, nice. Yeah, I always felt the mask was a little misplaced and I don't like it how the mask is outside of the hat and scarf area cos it makes the mask look more misplaced than it should be. Also when Exxo mentioned the line on your head. It makes it look like the hair is also part of the hat.

EDIT: Argh crap. Posted just before page refreshed and saw Sai's post.

9. Sai

Sai Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

Color palette of the hair is slightly different. I'll try to make it more obvious that it's separate. The actual head ends around where the mask ends, so it's not really a problem. It's probably too dark to tell, but there is a black outline for where the head actually ends.

10. LuLA

LuLA Veteran Membah'

OOOO I reckon you should re design the mask. Make it not as fat and make it just covering your eyes and nothing else? Or maybe Use the costume to your advantage and do something extraordinary to make your mask...... =D

11. Gabeh!

Gabeh! raf simons

This doesn't look like Maple at all.

12. Sai

Sai Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

I'm assuming you mean "Maple". I agree to an extent, but my previous sprite sheet didn't resemble Maple much either. I prefer this design a lot better anyways.

No, I don't intend to make any more design changes. I want to keep it simple and close to the original.

13. Gabeh!

Gabeh! raf simons

The design is somewhat better but the character looks too small and the black color doesn't really fit Maple. It looks like WK IMO.

14. Sai

Sai Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

Maybe I'll mess around a bit more with a couple of different palettes, but I kind of like this one. What kind of black do you suggest? The black with little to no saturation doesn't really appeal to me anymore. Also, I don't see how it looks too small, except for the legs which Sai never uses.

15. Jayson

Jayson The Faggot of Maplemation
    Retired Staff

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Meh, yeah the first one did look more Maple-ish.
    But there's something about the 2nd one that I just love...

16. Sai

Sai Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

Well now that you point it out. I think what I didn't like about the first version was the lack of depth it has. It looks flat compared to my newer version. I also like the claw design in the newer one better. As you can see, the new one is a lot more saturated palette wise. I have no idea how it would look in a Maple environment though. I guess I'll need to do a few tests before I make a final design.

17. Gabeh!

Gabeh! raf simons

[​IMG]
    The torso is too long. The black looks like it's pure black when you look at it at 100%, maybe you could make it lighter or make some kind of transition with AA.

What's too small is the legs/arms.

18. Crow

Crow Storm eSper

well i loved the oridgnal, but this one seems alot more direct, eyes are a major improvment, though i think resizeing the mask might be a good idea

19. Sai

Sai Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

Hmm, I'll probably make a few adjustments to make it a bit more in proportion then. Does anyone think the positioning of the cape is weird? It's not like it bothers me really, but I was just wondering.

Funny thing about the mask is, I started the mask from scratch without reference to the old version and it came out looking very similar. What do you mean by resizing? Making it bigger/smaller? Or adjusting parts of it?

20. Gabeh!

Gabeh! raf simons

Asides from the bad points, it looks pretty good. I like this one better, it's better spriting-wise and somewhat has a more "alive" feeling, it has more expression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.