Snoopierkid(Benji) VS Shulkle

Discussion in 'Animation Arena' started by Snoopierkid(Benji), Apr 16, 2017.

?

WHO DO YOU THINK IS BEST?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2017.
  1. Snoopierkid

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. Shulkle

27 vote(s)
    87.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoopierkid(Benji)

ALRIGHT
    HERE'S ANOTHER MAPLE MBR

Profiles of both
    Snoopierkid & Shulkle

NOTEs: While yes this was every fun to do for my first MBR I wish I've done more to "WOW" you guys, but it's done! so vote fairly!

NOTES: Back at trying to animate in Flash!...except getting failed exceptions on Flash everywhere ;-; While slightly painful, I'm glad we had this MBR!

#1 Snoopierkid(Benji), Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Seth, Hunter , Hyo and 10 others like this.
  2. Tra-La-Tracey

Tra-La-Tracey Veteran Membah'

Benji -- Good job on your first MBR and glad you had fun doing it :DD! I have to say though, the beginning was VERY slow and I found myself sorta skipping through to see when it would actually 'start'. On top of that, I think your overall movements could be a little faster in the beginning and it felt like you missed some sound effects. BUT HEY! Take whatever people say here as tips to help you for your second one! I see a lot of potential in your animation skills. :}

My vote goes to Shulks. Really like the effects and your improvement ^o^ Also really liked the part your character kicks the sand in your opponent's face. Smart~ :thumbs_up:

inb4 link to your guys' profiles.

Seth and Shulkle like this.
  3. Noz

Noz NPC

[​IMG] feels bad man LOOL

but ayy, this was fun to watch, gonna vote for Shulkie bc there's just more action on his part and I was very entertained by it! Animation + audio was better too
    not sure what else to say but Benji you did a good job for your first MBR, I'm looking forward to seeing more in the future!

Shulkle likes this.
  4. Neil

Neil "Oops"
    Administrator

-Something about having no music or ambient sounds seems a little weird to me, not only that, but your sounds just cut out half way through the animation so I don't really know if I can say too much about it, maybe Swivel gave you some audio error, I don't know.

-Transitions were really choppy for the most part, especially here. I'm not sure why you aren't paying attention to the foot placement, but please do next time.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Why were there hitsparks here when the sword didn't even touch Shulkle? The sound effect you put there made it seem like he was slashing him, but...he isn't touching him. He's just dashing from side to side in the SwingT2_0 pose.

[​IMG]
    -Don't erase the weapon or hand, just find the right hand and place it over the weapon.

[​IMG]
    -He...he didn't touch him, yet Shulkle reacted as if he was hit.

-Most of this animation has so many drawn out shots, it hurts. It almost seems like you couldn't meet the time limit without all the useless panning shots.

-After looking over your animation again and again, I started to notice some issues that I'd like to point out.
    For one, you don't use in-between poses often, I'd go as far to say it almost seems random and it would probably help in areas like this:
    [​IMG]
    The sword movement here and the poses just don't make any sense.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Another thing is the gun, yeah, I know it kinda looks weird, but it does have a trigger (at least, I'm pretty sure it does.) yet his finger is never actually on it.

Despite your flaws, Shulkle, I still believe you're the winner here.
    Voting for Shulkle.

Shulkle and Kayas like this.
  5. KingIke75

KingIke75 KingIke75

Ohhhhh boy, well my vote is obvious, I have to give my vote to Shulkle

Shulkle:
    Your animation was alot smoother and much more enjoyable than Benji's, it had less flaws then Benji's and it was pretty good. There's not much to really say here, good job!
    Benji:
    your animation had alot of issues and was honestly quite bland. It's decent for your first MBR and there's much to improve upon. It was very choppy and you need to keep working hard for your next MBR.

I wish you both the best of luck on your future MBR guys!!!

Shulkle likes this.
  6. Big_Hands

Big_Hands Veteran Membah'

That bit from 0:51 to 0:55 for Snoopy's animation was slick af, I replayed that part maybe twenty or thirty times while typing this up. Though there's technically nothing wrong with Shulkle's animation, I wasn't really into it. Voting for Snoopy.

Shulkle , KingIke75 and Aqua Kiso like this.
  7. Drew

Drew
    Sprite Team

Snoopierkid(Benji): Not bad, man. the effort is definitely there, but you have room for improvement on a good number of aspects. Firstly, (and there are several of us who make this mistake), the background you used is pixelated, and would be much easier on the eyes if it were smooth.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Another thing is, as everyone above me mentioned, your sound design is kinda off. Make sure int he future you balance out the volume of your music and your sound effects more. And speaking of sound, even though having no music in the beginning isn't that huge of an issue, but it would add much more life to any non-fighting moment if there was some kind of casual music playing in the background. Without it, that scenario just seems... empty to me. Keep that in mind for the future.
    Now here's something that really needs to be worked on: The ending combo.
    [​IMG]
    Make sure you be careful with how you demonstrate your gravity. The force of a bullet with a "spark" that big (in the spoiler below) was only able to send him flying about a foot away, whilst inexplicably keeping him frozen in the air until the next shot hits him, rinse and repeat. And not to mention, after the last shot, he just floats down slowly as if he were some sort of human balloon.
    [​IMG]
    ^I would try and study the animations of others, and see how they would portray the "force" something like this would invoke. Or at least something close to this scenario.
    Another flaw in your gravity happens to be right after that combo, where you slash at him once, and he is left completely stagnant in the air. I understand your aim was to keep Shulkle in range so that your next hit lands. But try to do it in a way that doesn't require you disregard the law of physics.
    [​IMG]
    And the last thing is, (this is just a matter of taste) the way your character just... casually stumbles over to the unconscious Shulkle, and stays there for a bit before finishing him off just feels sorta..... bland in my opinion. Could do with a little more personality in that regard, but that's just me. Keep working at it, dude. You'll start to get the hang of it the more you animate, and practice this sort of thing. Not bad, otherwise!

Shulkle: I keep rewatching your part, and I honestly don't have much to point out at all. You're improving really well, and did a pretty dope job on your part. I guess I'd say that the only thing is, it feels kinda strange seeing the ocean being "one" with your map. I've seen you do parallaxing in your animations before, and I know it should never feel like a requirement, but with a scene as VAST as an ocean, it would feel much more natural if it were given some sort of depth, y'know?

With that in mind, Shulkle gets my vote for this round. Snooper, you've got some work to do, but I know you have it in you to achieve just that, and even go beyond, if you put in the effort. Nice match, you two!

Shulkle and KingIke75 like this.
  8. Shulkle

Shulkle Remembered as the worst fight animator

[​IMG] this joke would be better if she didn't put herself as dad.

Again, it was a nice MBR, just wish [​IMG] didn't happen and did a little more, like the parallax thing Drew mentioned.

Tra-La-Tracey likes this.
  9. SuperKimxD

SuperKimxD Space Case
    Retired Staff

Benji, I liked the sound effects you used, but you didn't really incorporate Shulkle's abilities at all, and your fight scene was overall pretty lacking. I liked yours; it's the first I've seen of your work (that I can remember) and I was fairly impressed by it, but Shulkle's really blew me away. I'd say this is your best work so far, Shulkle. I really loved the opening (It reminded me a bit of Klaziki for some reason 8'D), and the fight was fun to watch, too. So Shulkle gets my vote, but I look forward to seeing more from both of you in the future!

Shulkle likes this.
  10. Jaycie

Jaycie Chop~

Applause for first MBR, Benji! Keep them coming!

Vote goes to Shulkle this time!

Looking forward to see more of your MBRs!

Shulkle likes this.
  11. jose117

jose117 latino animator video game fan

damm both of you are but uff my vote goes fof shulk

12. Aquila

Aquila "Sword, Zeal and Sex Appeal"
    Retired Staff

And Shulkle wakes the tin!

Throcking lead.

Shulkle and Tra-La-Tracey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.