Testing | Breakout

Discussion in 'Animations' started by xOryion, Sep 2, 2017.

1. xOryion

xOryion Mocha

I was never part of the collab, but I wanted to try and animate something after not touching Flash for two months. I had a lot of fun animating it. I managed to learn a lot too! I attempted 3D, and I think I did alright. Nevertheless CnC would greatly appreciated!

Credit:
    Map animation + 3D inspiration: Juan
    Flash CS3
    Sony Vegas 14
    Ciax Soundkit + Effects
    BGM: Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic

Min, iSmokeToast , Juan. and 8 others like this.
  2. Shulkle

Shulkle Remembered as the worst fight animator

I liked this. The cinematics was nice to look at along with the arcing of jumps.

I'm a little mixed about seeing that rigged stand0 pose with stand arms after landing. Probably could have gone with a landing pose, and then transition to that rigged standing pose, like when you got hit by the fan or landing for 0:33. The other part that I'm not so sure about was the 3-d jumping from ice to ice.
    As great as 3-d can look, it looks really off-putting to me. Probably could have used a swingOF1 for each leap instead of sticking to that ladder pose, because in my opinion, I didn't like how static the pose looked per leap.

Otherwise, yeah, I liked it. Few much smaller nitpicks, but these are the ones I just wanted to give attention to. Here's hoping to see more of your work!

ScarletFlares and xOryion like this.
  3. Tra-La-Tracey

Tra-La-Tracey Veteran Membah'

Nice, dude! I'm happy that others are attempting the Base Breakout stuff that Juan generously provided~

The main thing I noticed is how some of your poses are not aligned. For example, your running pose -- it looked like it only went down one pixel for one pose/like the head was aligned most of the time. Some people pull it off by making it hop or something, but it sorta threw me for a loop.

I gotta agree with Shulk with the jumping from ice to ice, it didn't seem 3D though. Not sure with what you were going for there, but a simple wide shot of the ice jumping could've sufficed, mostly to get a better idea of how you are jumping/where you are in the floating ice.

I liked the different perspective of the button you added! The two things that bothered me is how you don't see the exit (consistency/continuity is very important when it comes to different perspectives!) and how the rocks are simply stretched. I believe in Flash there is a way to skew objects/symbols, so in addition to stretching/squishing objects, maybe also add the skewing so it looks more rotated. You could also add partial shadow/blur to add to the perspective feel.
    [​IMG]
    Also the 3D'd tiles seemed to have moved up rather than rotated, so I sorta lost the 3D feel there. Y'wanna aim for something like this:
    [​IMG]

Overall, great improvement! I still think your physics (notably with the jumping) could use a little work, but I see a lot of great potential and improvement in the near future~ Keep it up!

Min, Drew, Shulkle and 1 other person like this.
  4. Juan.

Juan. Veteran Membah'

Ok, but I have never animated anything 3D in maple ;)

That was pretty cool dude, I liked your ideas and that you're stepping out of your comfort zone at such an early skill level. I'm also suprised you could export this thing with no problems and you had fun with it because this specific map OR2 is cursed by a v-cam demon and two steel pipes that should have been converted to pngs and not pngs with effects, ask aran and wolferian for more info.

Shulke and Tracey already got many of the technical aspects of the animation so I'll tackle the flow; I would suggest that you don't make any pauses.

For the first 10 seconds It's fine, you're showing the map and there are many moving parts on the background, now after this first jump with the emote changing, then it changes again as if he's looking at the pipe thing, don't do that; or if you are going to do it you should add more movements to your character with rigs, how you should think about it if you wanna have a good flow is to fill every empty space with secondary animations, if you look at tracey's part you'll notice during all of her pauses her character is doing someting else that adds to the main action.

The second jump that follows needs to be skewed and a bit faster, the kick to the metal fan was animated nicely, that's what I'd consider a good flow, it doesn't stop and it creates anticipation to the next set of actions; hopefully from this point on you can see where the flow could have been improved, your transition to the cinematic ice shot was a bit rough and the skipping of the ice rocks kinda slow and choppy for my taste.

0:32 pause to land the jump
    0:33 pause to look at the map again
    0:41 small pause while climbing the rock and before the spin jump

By the way for anyone who is looking to animate these maps again you don't need my persmission or anything, you can find them either in the idea collector thread or the collab thread itself in the projects section and subsection respectively.

xOryion likes this.
  5. iSmokeToast

iSmokeToast PRYR 36518444
    Retired Staff

i liked your use of music and sounds during the cinematic parts, made the map feel big and dangerous

xOryion likes this.