1. Guest, you may notice that chatbox is not here anymore. Use the Discord chat instead! It’s way more popular these days, Grandpa!
    Dismiss Notice

The Dumpster (post your tests and super short anims here)

Discussion in 'Animations' started by LeoV , Aug 8, 2015.

1. Tra-La-Tracey

Tra-La-Tracey Veteran Membah'

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK dat is actually super good for a joek animation.

Thank you Seth :3
    ALSO PINK IS BEST COLOUR HMU!

Tokiochan, Seth5443 and CCshinobi like this.
  2. CCshinobi

CCshinobi Director, Actor, Forum Moderator

Omfg Seth 0:55 was perfect. Just. Perfect.

3. Shulkle

Shulkle Still the worst fight maker

It's a sad day for that sword attack to fail.
    You shoulda made a thread. :c

Seth5443 likes this.
  4. maximisxxx

maximisxxx Just A Nigga

[​IMG]
    Progression of practice?
    Plz CnC all the way through!

#984 maximisxxx, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  5. Shulkle

Just something to get me back into doing Flash again. Twas @Tra-La-Tracey n @Drew's birthdays, so there.

ForgettenSoul, Ainn, ownblade and 2 others like this.
  6. ownblade

ownblade Senior Membah'

I love it!

Just, uh, fix the position/ orientation of the sheath.
    [​IMG]

Shulkle likes this.
  7. BenthekidRS

BenthekidRS Friendly Action Gamer

8. ownblade

ownblade Senior Membah'

1. That's a pretty low quality video. Have you've tried tracing your character's bitmaps and exporting at max settings using Swivel?

2. Your walking poses don't actually match the speed at which your character is tweening. Decrease the time it takes for the next walking pose to occur. Same thing applies for your standing pose, except that you need to increase the time it takes between each pose.

3. Please, just use effects. Drawing a purple line to indicate the afterimage of a sword will not cut it.

4. Awkward transition. It's mainly because of the lack of skewing and the use of swingOF_3 as an intermediate pose for such a short and sudden moment. Take out the swingOF_3 and, generally, build up some more action. Also, I don't usually see a swingOF_3 pose unedited used in the way you just did. I usually see it with the right arm down.

5. Choose better sound effect. Why did you choose the sound of paper being crushed for an action where the neck/ head gets sliced?

6. Align your feet with each transition pose. His feet for swingOF_3 and prone body should be on the same Y-axis of his walk and stand poses. Use a guide line to help you out.

7. Use outlines for your text!

Overall, there are plenty of improvements that could be made. Use pixel art tiles or some actual ground for the characters to stand on instead of having them walk all over the background.

Noziki and Shulkle like this.
  9. BenthekidRS

Well, where am I supposed to get the Swivel program from? Besides, I used GIMP, so of COURSE it's not going to be professional.

10. ownblade

ownblade Senior Membah'

https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/flash-resources/swivel
    That's the link to get Swivel

I also commend you for using GIMP, but GIF animations can be done much more nicely (Look at Shulkle's or AznMagix's stuff). Also, you won't be using Swivel to export your final file if you're using GIMP.

You could also "borrow" Adobe Flash/ Animate or Sony Vegas Pro and learn- in my opinion- an easier way.

11. BenthekidRS

12. Ainn

Ainn ↻ Gravity Wielder
    YouTube Contributor

Actually, YouTube doesn't accept GIFs since it's technically still an image file. There are GIF animators on YouTube because they convert their animations to MP4, MOV, AVI, MPEG, WMV or similar video formats (renaming the .GIF part won't fix it, so you know). Upload your GIF to an image host and share the direct link back instead! I recommend Imgur, but if you already happen to have a DeviantART account, that's really not a bad place to upload GIF animations either.

13. BenthekidRS

That's how I got the first two animations I made using GIMP.

14. Tra-La-Tracey

Why didn't do you that for this one (Crypto vs Emperor Solitude.gif)? OTL You gotta use some online hosting site for us to view your work. We can't view your file if you send us the file address that's only for your computer. Anyway, if you don't wanna convert to video,

15. BenthekidRS

16. Tra-La-Tracey

^ That advice applies here too. As shown in Khmer's GIMP tutorial: [​IMG]
    I'd recommend reading the whole tutorial in its entirety. I skimmed it, and I can tell it's very thorough and good for starting out. :)

Ayy, the map is pretty nice, the 3D is a nice touch (blurred out bushes in the front, tilted tiles)! Just be careful with the ordering of your layers. In the last frame, your character goes in front of the blurred out bush on the left, but that doesn't make sense, since the blurred out bush is closer to the camera than the character is.
    [​IMG]

Also noticed that you used a pre-made effect for the first clash (nice!), but went back to drawn lines -- I'd stick with the pre-made effects, since they convey more of what is going on and are more than one frame.

I have no knowledge on how to export GIF to video, but the 144p quality is very off-putting. Perhaps @Hunter, @Shulkle, or @AznMagix can offer some possible tips for that? Like ownblade suggested, maybe use a video editing program, like After Effects, Premiere, or Sony Vegas, to export your video. You can also add sound effects with your animation!

Overall, better than your first test video (especially with the map), but fix the alignment of your subjects/characters, find out how to export in better quality settings so it's easier for others to view it, and use some pre-made effects ('cause the one-framed lines just sorta don't cut it). Also, before you post the video, don't be afraid to watch it over and over again to see how you can improve it! Finding and fixing your own mistakes is probably one of the best ways to learn xD.

Keep it up, Ben!

Aranimation, Shulkle and Hunter like this.
  17. Hunter

Hunter Member of the Month not LUL

@Tra-La-Tracey tf you calling me here for m8 xd

According to what I've learned, you use WMM. Might as well move into importing your GIF/Png Sequences into Flash in 28 fps or whatever fps you set your Gimp animations for a better quality. WMM renders the video poorly than intended most of the time. I'd make your own map instead of relying on pre-made 3d map png to make your animation feel better, using the regular 2d maps for now until you get a better knowledge of the map building to move into 3d map scene.

Also, I'd import the gifs using the same aspect ratio as 320x180, such as 640x360, 1280x720, 1080p, etc etc. Learn how to align the characters properly, usually aligned with the bottom of the characters or objects. This itself will help you improve your animation by a small but large margin.

Hope you take what I said into consideration about WMM and using Flash or other programs to compile your GIF/PNG sequences in meantime!

EDIT: Also when you're just doing a small GIF, it's just better for you to upload to Imgur instead of making it into a video.

Tra-La-Tracey and Shulkle like this.
  18. BenthekidRS

Reading all of that, here's what I have to say.

I don't really use flash, considering the fact that I have to pay for it and I can't really afford to. Also, where can I make my own MapleStory map? Bannedstory is gone and I remember that it had an option to create your own map, so how can I make my own map?

Does Flash allow you to import the gifs into these ratios? And how is it possible for me to get Flash, even though I don't have any money?

I don't have an Imgur account, so that's why I upload the animations I make into YouTube.

19. Shulkle

Have you heard of cracking, or pirating the program? While we don't explicitly tell you how to do so, or hand it in so easily, researching yourself about it would be a good idea. You've got 31 posts, you should have access to our resources of Goates Map and build an MS map yourself, or even Kirimy maps should be passable.

See above about pirating a program. Like I said, we can't particularly hand out illegal concent because of the rules.

You don't need an account. Hell, my gifs don't even have an account. Have you tried imgur before? Just make a new post, upload gif, and there you go. Done, easy, simple. Just save that link or make a thread with the "gif" thing.

xOryion, Hunter and Tra-La-Tracey like this.
  20. BenthekidRS

Well, I was searching through the images and found some pretty amazing night backgrounds to use for animations with Crypto.

Dislikes: Going outside (except at night)

To be honest with you, no I haven't.