The Dumpster (post your tests and super short anims here)

Discussion in 'Animations' started by LeoV , Aug 8, 2015.

1. SuperKimxD

SuperKimxD Space Case

I'll probably put this in a compilation of unfinished work later this year. For now, here.

2. BulbaWhat98

BulbaWhat98 Membah'

I know how it feels to be rejected.

3. Ayros

Ayros Your Kittiness

[​IMG]
    Little something I'm working on

4. ArmondewNinethousand

ArmondewNinethousand The guy who's beyond the levels of omnipotence

HHHHHHYeet

Narky and BulbaWhat98 like this.
  5. Digital

Digital Corpse

I guess ill put this here...

6. SuperKimxD

SuperKimxD Space Case

An old MBRQ from April that I never finished.

Darlit Glitch and BulbaWhat98 like this.
  7. BulbaWhat98

BulbaWhat98 Membah'

KittyRain, Kat and Darlit Glitch like this.
  8. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

Kat likes this.
  9. SwordGrayFire

SwordGrayFire Voice Actor

Animated Jodie for a stick figure collab. KlasiqueTV(DaBestBrawler) Loved it!

BulbaWhat98 likes this.
  10. Narky

Narky Time stone protector.

some sloppy test thingy

Dan Derps and BulbaWhat98 like this.
  11. SunGod

SunGod A Virus

12. TheWind

TheWind Returned kinda

13. Thewindyfan

Thewindyfan I'm too slow for this shit

14. Amdragg

Amdragg Fried Chicken In a Can!!!

#1074 Amdragg, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  15. RikuX

RikuX Newbie

Okie so i'm trying to get the hang of things i'm not use to Sprite Animations so sorry if it look like shit

pinkcacti likes this.
  16. Farlon

Farlon Think-Thonk

17. Elemental Animations

@Farlon Looks like your character is rolling on his head while he's supposed to touch the ground with his hands. I feel like there (https://imgur.com/a/O2l4Xk7) you skewed too much, and in overall it is lacking smoothness: sometimes your character is stopping a bit, then going back again. Which isn't really logical since, if you compare to real life, it's possible to do several flips like these when you gain speed from the previous flips and then you can easily chain figures.
    Also, I think it's unecessary to blur when he's doing a backflip.

18. Dan Derps

Dan Derps lemonade baby.

19. BrannyMannyBee

I had no idea where to put this and while it's not super short I guess I was just testing a bunch of different ideas/gags and this is a first animation (side note: I hope the background isn't too jarring, I was feeling wild and wanted to do something equally wild). I still need to get used to flash but I digress, here is my thing, hopefully not the worst thing in existence and I'll definitely consider doing something different next time to get used to animation in general.
    Any pointers or criticisms, lay it on me, anything helps and I'll be on standby with a notepad.

Shulkle, Noziki and Dan Derps like this.
  20. Leliot

Leliot Pants Pocket Lint

Yet another first animation that makes me feel like I aint shit...

Anyway since this is your first animation any critiques I have are just opinions I feel like would make things better that you may have considered but you didnt have the time/resources/experience/preference/whatever you dont have as a novice animator. As they are opinions they dont have any all encompassing truth or whatever so you can follow my advice or disregard it as misinformation it might very well be since I'm not a good animator myself.

In terms of audio, it would be nice if the vocals of the song started when Luthor stomps his feet and says "RETRIBUTION" since it basically starts the fight and the energy of the animation, just have everything fit a bit more. You can even add a simple night soundtrack like crickets and wind and whatever at the beginning so the whole video isnt silent. I see you have sound effects for the battle but some events dont have any like the portal activating and the uppercut and Stevie hitting the cross. The events would be a bit more consistent and not cut off suddenly by a soundless motion, even if there is music in the background. You can add sound effects for jumps and swings even if there were sound effects for hits, but that is unnecessary if you want to be simplistic and not clutter the sound especially if you arent sure how to do that.

In terms of animation, your battle and fight sequences are good and well done I feel, just some small instances have a bit of trouble, namely Luthor's walk after he uppercuts and the impact of Stevie against the cross. Walks are a bit harder to get used to because they are slower than action swings and stuff and thus have a subtlety that is easier to point out because it isnt as fast as a brutal hit motion. Your walk seems like it was not aligned properly either in a symbol you used for it or frame by frame on the stage. If you did the second one, I recommend putting the walk frames in a symbol, and if they are in a symbol, make sure they dont change position horizontally and just go up and down. You may also need to make the frames of each walk pose the same length if you havent already, but if the alignment is fixed for these you probably dont have to do this at all since it probably looks consistent already after that point. If you didnt use a motion tween for this use it for the walking symbol to make the walking smooth and not wonky.

For Stevie hitting the cross, it just seems a bit too fast, even if that's how impacts are usually. There should probably be longer contact with the cross, like Stevie's body should look like it really hit and hurt against the tough structure, but not too long as impacts are still fast, so maybe like a quarter to half a second longer contact. You may also want to slow the fall from the cross to the ground to show the force of his hit against the cross is transferred to the cross material before it leaves his body enough to allow gravity to pull him down; or you can lengthen the contact with his body to the ground, like he slides a bit to show his body has weight and inertia that carries him a bit forward from the force of the fall, this all not being too long either.

In terms of camera work, most of your composition is good just like your fight sequences, but some shots seem a bit off balance in terms of position. When Stevie tries to explain it's just a radio and pizza can solve the problem, he is far from the left side of the camera frame while Luthor is right next to it, which is different from your early shots that had them equally distant from the sides, even if they started unbalanced the camera panning slowly put them into this equal distant position which is correct. I think you did this position because you wanted to show Stevie's text but it's still better to have their positions be the same distance from the camera sides, or at least do a slow panning from left to right for this scene like you did before. You could also include a camera pan for when Luthor walks and teleports Stevie's fall for a cross cancelling-esque final blow, because there's a lot of space that is necessary for Stevie flying in the background in terms of vertical space but not horizontal space, so it's better pan right to left to keep the focus on the action.

Sorry for the long explanations. Like i said this is just my personal thoughts, so if it helps you then that's great.

BrannyMannyBee likes this.