Thinking about installing Pivot Animator

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BenthekidRS, Nov 1, 2017.

?

Should I go for it?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. BenthekidRS

BenthekidRS Friendly Action Gamer

This may seem odd, but I'm considering downloading Pivot Animator for my sprite videos. I was on YouTube the other day and I came across some sprite tutorials on Pivot Animations.

2. Aranimation

Aranimation TrueHorizonBestHorizon

Everyone animates differently and have their own preferences. If you install Pivot, follow Pivot tutorials and feel that you like using the program better than other animating software like Adobe Flash or Sony Vegas, then you should pursue it.

Tra-La-Tracey likes this.
  3. BenthekidRS

BenthekidRS Friendly Action Gamer

The way I use GIMP, it feels like I'm making GIFs rather than actual animation. And keep in mind, I know about gif converters into MP4s, but they don't usually turn out professionally.

4. Aranimation

Aranimation TrueHorizonBestHorizon

You may want to look again at what you were asking for at the beginning of this thread and perhaps reread what I posted.

If GIMP is a program you do not prefer to use, then you can explore other programs (like Pivot) to find one you are more comfortable using.

5. Tra-La-Tracey

Tra-La-Tracey Veteran Membah'

This video was made in GIMP! When I first saw it, I was like "WOW"

I don't know what you mean by "professional," but you should just work with whatever program you want and stick with it. Through multiple trials and learning more about the program, you will improve and make stuff! Doesn't have to be AMAZING or PROFESH right off the bat. You'll also find the pros and cons of each program. I think, as starting out, it's best to master the basics of one program, whether it be GIMP or Pivot.

Since you're already familiar with GIMP, here's another tutorial from the forum.

And though it's incomplete, this thread/tutorial has good points on how to execute stories.

Good luck!

Aranimation and Noz like this.
  6. xOryion

xOryion Mocha

It all depends on your style of animation, as well as the content you want to make. If you're more into making fighting animations, Flash would be ideal (but you can still make amazing animations with GIMP. It just takes practice). You said you've been using GIMP, another alternative is Fireworks. It is kind of like GIMP in a way.

http://maplemation.com/threads/gif-aznmagixs-fireworks-tutorial-collection.33568/ <-- It is a great tutorial on how to use Fireworks.

Bryant and Shulkle are pretty good at the program, they recently did an MBR using it: http://maplemation.com/threads/mbr-vs-shulkle.34403/#post-334084 Not too sure what you mean by "professional", but their MBR seems pretty professional to me!

If you more into the music video aspect, Sony Vegas is the program animators typically use.

Do note that you still can make MMVs with Flash and fighting animations with Vegas (Tracey is an excellent example of one). I'm just saying these are the programs typically used but in the end, it all depends on the program you are most comfortable with! :D

Aranimation likes this.
  7. Ainn

Ainn ↻ Veteran Sprite Animator
    YouTube Contributor

I totally wanted Pivot, but I'm too spoiled by Flash, ASEprite, Easytoons and other software these days. I could never go back 100%. Funny enough one of my rigging styles that involves lowered framerates was inspired from the Pivot workflow (not that I really use it much)...