Voice Actor Gallery

Discussion in 'Dead Projects' started by Ainn, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Ainn

Ainn ↻ Filthy Weeb
    YouTube Contributor

Thread Introduction:
    I don't expect everyone to have a microphone, and I don't expect all of them to be above Nintendo DS quality, but I think it would be pretty kool if the people who did have a working microphone came together to contribute something that it seems most of our animations are lacking. Voices. And don't give me that "my voice sucks" thing. Unless you're me. Which you're not.

Here's a few resources to help interested people get started. I mean hey, at least try it out first.
    Audacity - The ultimate free tool for sound editing / processing / recording ever.
    http://voiceactingalliance.com- The ultimate voice actors forum, not to advertise.
    http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/voice-recording - I've got to say, this is probably the most useful right off the bat.
    http://www.guidesandtutorials.com/audacity-voiceover.html - Various tips and tricks that are proven to be effective for voice actors etc.
    http://cooperantemaudio.com/get-involved/acting/152-2/ - Another article from the magnificent Google.com
    http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Voice_Acting:_A_Complete_Guide - And another.

Topic: Audacity:
    I realize a few of you MIGHT have tried / heard of Audacity. I've got to say, it's the most fully-functional for it to be open source / freeware. It supports VST plugins and there are plenty of tools right out of installation that can be used to a great advantage. I mean hell, it even comes with Noise Removal. How cool is that?

Encouragement: But my voice is bad / useless / stupid!
    You might be thinking "Well, shit my voice sucks." But... a common misconception is that some people think voice acting is about "trying to sound like" someone else. Chances are you're looking at voice acting the wrong way. Voice acting is more about sounding natural as you read a script. Not everyone sounds like how they want to, which usually discourages them from voice acting entirely... but your voice probably sounds different from someone elses. That's perfectly fine, you know. Not everyone sounds the same in real life, so why should we try to sound the same in animations / media?

Realize that your voice is different from mine. Your voice is different from Troy Baker. Your voice is even different from your neighbors voice. Also realize that your voice being different makes it more useful for voice acting than you might expect. Your voice might not sound the way YOU want it to, but that doesn't mean that someone ELSE can't use it!

Summarized Topic: But my microphone is bad / useless / stupid!
    I'm not going to lie. Your microphone might be useless... but how exactly can I determine that if I've never heard your voice? As a general rule, microphones that are "built-in" or "internal" are usually horrible-- but if you're fortunate enough to have an external mic or anything you have to plug into your computer, there's some hope, even if you have notable microphone-generated background noise. Why's that? The power Audacity's noise-filtering capabilities.

Basically, it's great practice to go to your closet / moms car / smallest bathroom (for echo purposes), record a few seconds (count to 2-4 in your head each session) of raw background noise before you actually start talking. Why's that? Because Audacity can analyse the audio frequencies your microphone / environment is emitting into the program, and from there you can simply select the intended "silence", go to Effect > Noise Removal and hit "Get Noise Profile". Follow the steps in the plugin and you get less background noise! Now. Depending on your specific microphone / environment, you might have to adjust the sliders around until you get what you want. I'm not entirely sure myself what does what, but I'll try to explain.

[​IMG]

Noise reduction seems to be the intensity of the resulting effect.
    Sensitivity seems to be the overall tolerance level for detecting those frequencies I mentioned earlier.
    Frequency Smoothing is a type of threshold that also affects the tolerance.
    Attack / decay time (secs) is the Fade in / Fade out of the effect (in seconds apparently).

The Actual Voice Actors Index:
    AaronIsNeato - All voiced by me. Your average Minecraft player. Does it really matter?
    Pizzaman432 - Acted in place of the actual Warren.
    WarrenBark - First voice in the video.
    Nivlac - Please post a sample of your voice(s) for the thread.
    TheShrimpBox - Hosted on Pomf, which is basically Puush without file deletion.
    CCshinobi - I'm not entirely sure which voice he is, but try him out.
    Jasiu - Note, this is Polish.
    Scylla - Slammajamma'd.

The Proposed Voice Actors Index (People I should've asked before putting them on this thread):
    Joey Xenocide, Pokemaster, Blue / Silfur, Captain, Scythe, Nash / Virgil, Zack, Ciax.

Nuuwah, Hatim , Kira and 2 others like this.
  2. Thewindyfan

Thewindyfan I'm too slow for this shit

This is definitely needed for people interested in Voice Acting! I'm not even sure if MM has a thread for available voice actors like SF did, so that could probably start soon as well. If there is a thread like that on here, then pardon me. Thanks for the information!

Plus a voice acting forum as well? Again, thank you for sharing this.

CCshinobi and Lynus like this.
  3. Smeagal

Smeagal The Clutchness

if i join, would i be dabes? :D

4. Taki

Taki Kuulas enthusiast
    Retired Staff

I think this is supposed to be the thread. If not, someone can go ahead and make one. If it gets enough attention i will definitely make it a forum.

Thewindyfan likes this.
  5. TheShrimpBox

TheShrimpBox Newbie

I'd like to apply as a voice actor too! I will submit some demos as soon as I make them.

6. Ragman

Ragman Nivlac no more

I would absolutely love to apply as a voice actor!

Maybe I'd actually do something here because of that.

7. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

.....I'm a good voice actor not going to lie

...I acted like I was psychopathic

Now teachers warn students about me when I enter a new school lol

.....stupid Med records lul

(I'll make a demo as soon as I can....both serious and silly ones....and maybe I'll do a voice pack for mah self and use that as a demo)

8. Jaycie

Jaycie Chop~

Yes guys, Audacity is supah.

A splendid idea :D

But not only does voice matter. Me who looks for voice actor is expecting that they can act like the character very well too.
    I don't know how to explain futher, but I want a voice actor who can express a dialogue, not a reading one. I would want to practice in that direction too.
    This might be a good form of practice for me :D! Want to practice grunt sounds and screams too, lol.

CCshinobi likes this.
  9. Hatim

Hatim Love Emperor

Voice acting MBRs? :D

And yeah,i support this idea.

10. Blacksmith

Blacksmith N E G R O I D
    Sprite Team

how in the blue fuck would that work

.......like......LOL ....i can imagen it....like

each person makes a sound pack for their oc and then the winner is jugded by who used the sound pack more efficiently and stuff............CAN IT PLEASE BE A THING *^*

11. CCshinobi

CCshinobi Filmmaker, Animator

[​IMG] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZjk8UOJ28E

......Where am I on this list? :(

Thewindyfan likes this.
  12. Thewindyfan

Thewindyfan I'm too slow for this shit

It would be cool if we doubled them up with regular animation MBRs :o

13. Jasiu

Jasiu ジョニー

Cough. Does acting in Polish counts? XD
    [youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rq7Z7ztZafs&client=mv-google&gl=PL&hl=pl[/youtube]

14. Ainn

Ainn ↻ Filthy Weeb
    YouTube Contributor

The thread is being constantly updated. Anyone else?

15. Scythe

Scythe Veteran Membah'

16. TheShrimpBox

TheShrimpBox Newbie

Not sure if this is a good demo or not, haha; Sorry for teh pauses, did lots of noise reduction. Please suggest more samples you may request from me if you are interested in more.

(totally did not abuse such a well-known line from a good movie :embarrassed: )

17. Ainn

Ainn ↻ Filthy Weeb
    YouTube Contributor

I just noticed something fucked the spoilers. Oh well, I'll update it later. Anyone up for a group on Skype? Calls not required. Just a place to hang out and potentially recruit people on-the-fly.

18. Nuuwah

Nuuwah not ded

why Is This dead?

19. Ainn

Ainn ↻ Filthy Weeb
    YouTube Contributor

Because people stopped posting animations that require voice acting...