Weapon Holder S1E4 - Running Snow

Discussion in 'Animations' started by Chrystophe, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Chrystophe

Chrystophe Live and learn!

2. BulbaWhat98

BulbaWhat98 Senior Membah'

Hey don't judge! I wearer these everyday, and if it wasn't for me, this scene wouldn't exist! (Crying)

Kat, Dally and Chrystophe like this.
  3. Seth

Seth Retired Animator

This was a great animation, Canox. If i had to rate this myself i'd give it a 8/10, which is pretty good!

If you may allow me to state my personal opinion on some things, i've wrotten a wall of criticism down here below:

For my opinion, i will state what things i think you did good, and what things you did bad. Though keep in mind that about half of these things i'm listing down below, you don't have to take them to heart. Some things i personally dislike, while others like them. You don't have to commit yourself to thoroughly doing as i say.

For the things that you DID good:
    -The animation is butter smooth. The 60FPS may have played a big part in it, but taking that asides, your way of animating things is pretty good, it doesnt feel rough or bad, you're a rather good animator!
    -The dialogue scenes are engaging: By this i dont mean that the story or whatever is interesting, but rather the actions and what is happening on the animation as they talk is good enough to keep the viewer entertained. This is something that many should aspire to do, including myself. When a character is talking, make them constantly move their hands or head and such, not just put them on a stand_0 pose or whatever. You clearly put plenty of effort in this, so great job!
    -Decent voice acting: I would definitely say that you yourself and the girl that voices the fox are your two best. Their voices and portrayed emotions are decent, and the quality of their mics are good aswell. Titan is also good, but the others don't have much of as a good mic, but even then, their acting is fine, their voices aren't completely monotone or boring.
    -Some amazing scenes: Definitely the scenes i liked the most was 5:00, as the way the characters run from a monster while the background is also constantly moving, all the dynamic action and stuff happening at once, it was very pleasing and entertaining. Similarly, i also really liked 9:50, although it didn't have nearly as much action, the explanation and idea you portrayed was definitely the most interesting part of the whole episode, while it was also animated in a pleasant and cool way portraying the good and evil characters. In other words, it was fun! The last fight of Titan vs Altair was great too, but there were some very confusing flaws that i will explain later.
    -Tons of effort: It goes without saying that you put a hella ton of effort into this. Not only is it 13 Minutes long, is also 60 FPS, but the characters are always moving dynamically wether it's combat or idle dialogue. I don't even know how many rigs you've used, but in your animation nothing ever felt static. Honestly i'll give your hard effort a 100/100.

For the things that you did bad:
    -You didn't add my character into the animation w0w >:C okay just kidding
    -Definitely, i would say that your biggest problem out of all is your... pacing at some points. Well, i wouldn't know how to quite describe this, but i feel like your animation keeps switching back and forth on something that's trying to start and finish something, but ends up starting from the begginning on another completely diferent thing. What i mean by this is that things feel pretty random and hard to follow sometimes, well, to be fully honest, if what you're going for is a funny carefree series, then randomness can be considered something good, but please do try to make the story and pacing a bit easier to follow.
    -Your series haves great story and comedic potential. Right now, it feels like it's struggling to take on either path. To be honest, something that i quite dislike is that from one moment it goes to comedic, then goes to slighty serious and interesting, introducing us into an immersive world of exploration, and then it goes to surreal randomness. If you're going for a series that focuses on the action and the world's lore, a story about Adventurers, i suggest to tone down a little bit the jokes, make it less random-ish, but i'm not saying to go as far as to make it a fulltime serious and heavy story. Clearly this is not what you're going for, but rather a Comedic and fun Adventuring story, that is funny most of the time but is also serious when it needs to, and executes both sides well. I believe that is what you're going for, but sadly your product feels more like... A very random story with jokes, memes and references here and there, which then suddenly goes immersive and then joke-ish and random again. As of now it feels that what you're making is something purely for fun that you create along the way, and not something with the intention of telling a story. Perhaaps you should try elaborating a storyboard beforehand, thinking and writing of a script and such, but then again, this is just my opinion, i may be the only one that feels like this.
    -Some scenes are... hard to follow: Okay, i said that your animation is hard to follow a few times already, but that was more figuratively. In these examples, this is very literally. The viewer gets confused when they see these scenes, not understanding what's happening. At 1:54, what happened? Why does he even get mad? Why does the music stop and plays a sound effect signaling something went wrong, what happened??? It's really confusing. If it's something related to the blizzard suddenly stopping, then it was very poorly executed as it was too sudden. At 11:08, what did Titan do? I'm aware that he instantly became a wizard class and cast a weird spell that hit Altair, but why did he go crazy ass glitchy like that? Again, it felt confusing and sudden, but not as much as the previous example. Perhaaps if you spent a bit more time on this scene making it a bit more obvious and clear as to what caused Altair to go all glitchy would prevent this confusion. Lastly, and the most notable, the last fight scene, at 11:30. This is just incredibly confusing, what happened? Did Altair use the world or some shit and stop time? What was that hit with his sword, it had no effect, and why did it bounce back... Well, basically, it was incredibly confusing and yet again, sudden and random. Lastly, at 11:45, why did Titan's attacks have no effect whatsoever on Altair? I'm aware that some slightly visible barrier appeared on him, which probably defended him from attacks. It was most likely a warrior skill to increase his defense, but why does Altair goes ''What the hell'', after the glow fades out? It felt kinda unnecesary and just confused the viewer. Perhaaps if you added in ''What the hell? So is this the defensive powers of a warrior class?'' or something, it'd make much more sense, feel a lot cooler and feel much less random.
    -Lastly, though it pains me to say this, i feel a few scenes here and there have... lame jokes. Now, THIS is a COMPLETELY personal opinion. It may just be my shitty sense of humor but the scenes that made me laugh the most are with Titan being a dumbass and falling off with exaggerated effects like at 8:15. Well, do not try to make most of the comedy go into jokes like that though, because after all, what makes a good joke remain good is that they aren't overused.

With that, my thoughts end here. Do feel free to ask or debate me on anything, but i must say i'm thoroughly impressed at the quality of your animation. I don't know if either you were already a good animator or you just improved like crazy, but great job man. (Or maybe you just hired someone to animate, oof)

Kat and Chrystophe like this.
  4. Chrystophe

Chrystophe Live and learn!

I can't argue with what I agree on. Slowly, the team and I are going in for a slower pace. It goes way too fast at times. Also, for some confusing things like Altar using some sort of defense and saying "What the hell?" was to confuse the viewers and it did work. There will be, however, explanations concerning this!

Thank you for that honest CnC, I love those! Perhaps your character will appear soon, who knows?

#4 Chrystophe, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  5. UntitledOmega

UntitledOmega Some Tired EdgeLord.

Animation Rank:
    Silver | 79
    Oh cool the bits I helped with were enjoyable, that great to hear! but yeah what canox said with the team and working slower at a slower pace is taking a bit of an effect on the quality of the animation, in a good way. Anyways I'm glad you enjoyed it!