Art MBR: Don VS ScarfKanye

Discussion in 'Archived MBRs' started by Duo Bios , Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duo Bios

Duo Bios Ron.
    Retired Staff

Sub Theme: Hyde Kido (UNIST) Character Portrait
    Due Date: November 2nd​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BulbaWhat98, Suz, Kaneko and 5 others like this.
  2. quentin galloway

quentin galloway Chaotic Spirit

My vote goes to Don Like Kaneko said Your art style is unique and aesthetically I hope you make business of your art work

#2 quentin galloway, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  3. Kaneko

Kaneko Still The Weakest Student Of Horizon

yes yes, Good job both of you!! Looking greaaaat~! :blushplz:

Joey, very clean man, i like like, good proportion of anatomy, very solid and clean lines, looks pretty neat for me! the simplistic of your artstyle fits well for a game potrait imo! good job on picking colors!

Kanye, good good good! i like glowing stuffs, your art piece is glowing, therefore i like it! however, i feel like some of the proportion is not right! example, i feel like bottom part of leg is shorter than tights, and the blade's curve feels off, ear placement also feels off! the fingers are too long, arm's proportion feels off, Hyde looks more like a young kiddo in your style

both art piece look nice in their own way, but my vote goes to
    Joey!

Good job both of you~!

Suz and quentin galloway like this.
  4. Gregio

Gregio Retired Staff
    Retired Staff

First one has a nicer style IMO, and is also more defined.
    The design in the second is nice, but there could be more work in line thickness, outlines and small improvements to shading.
    Overall, pretty good, but first gets my vote.

Hunter , Taki , Suz and 5 others like this.
  5. Miles

Animation Team

Don gets my vote on this one. Your style is unique, and there is a lot of polish there, which I found lacking in ScarfKanye's part.

Suz likes this.
  6. Dally

Dally Watcher of the Land
    Retired Staff

Oh my goodness, the two parts are lookin' fresh! :lav:

Don's part looks really clean with its thicker lineart, along with its stylized artstyle,, giving the essence of Hyde along with his own flare. I really like the blade's metal texture too!

Kanye's piece also looks very nice with the lighting reflecting from the burst of light from the tip of the blade. However, I agree with Kaneko in your artwork makes Hyde look somewhat younger than he is, along with his hair looking more brown than blonde. The linework also feels a bit too thin in comparison to Don's, making it look less clean.

As a character portrait, I have to vote for
    Don for his clean artwork of Hyde, along with the unique art style he has. But I definitely loved Kanye's for going the effort to bring some nice lighting to his work. Good job you two!

7. Taki

Taki Delete me
    Retired Staff

Both are almost equally great, Don gets my vote for the cleanliness and looking more finished look.

8. Chimera

Chimera tomayto tamahto

Don: Your drawing is nicely done. The only thing that bothers me is how flat the buckles are on his waist. Because your style has this thickness to it, and specifically how the buckle on his wrist is drawn differently, it makes the buckles on his waist look flat in comparison.

ScarfKanye: I really like all the stylistic choices you made, your execution of them just isn’t all there.

The sword is bent out of shape from the handle. I think I understand what you were going for, but a much stronger curve in the blade is needed.
    The foreshortening isn’t consistent in the size of the wrists, forearms or feet. Just look at how both wrists are the same size when the hands are so different.
    The painted effect coming from the hand is jarring. Because you exclusively use line art, cell shading and gradients for the rest of the drawing, it clashes.
    The lighting source is not clear, seems that the areas of light and shadow conflict. The white border effect makes it even more confusing, it comes off like a lighting effect but it does not behave like light.

I'd say that next time don’t go all out on the foreshortening, lighting and effects. Choose one thing to really hone in on so you can really do well at it. Take more time doing the line art and colour fills too. When drawing in a style like this, small mistakes make the whole thing look sloppy.

Conclusion: Good job to the both of you, both drawings came out great. If Kanye had cleaner line art and colour fills it’d be a pretty hard decision, his drawing was more difficult and executed well enough. But in having neglected those Don is the clear winner to me.

My vote goes to Don, for being better executed overall.

Duo Bios and Kayas like this.
  9. Kaneko

Kaneko Still The Weakest Student Of Horizon

Alrighty Folks~! It's been 48 Hours now its time for the result~!

DON WINS WITH 7 VOTES!
    Don : +30 points
    ScarfKanye : -30 Points

Congratulations to Don for the win! Thankyou everyone for voting~!

quentin galloway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.