foreshortening attempt

Discussion in 'Art' started by over8000, Nov 24, 2016.

1. over8000

over8000 Eccentric Artist

well I did this drawing to test foreshortening, and yeah I know legs look weird.

[​IMG]

Any CnC would be helpful.

CCshinobi likes this.
  2. NobleJuice

NobleJuice Wandering Wizard

at first i've readen foreskin.

The chest looks really small imo and the back foot has a weird angle. o.o
    Good job tho!

over8000 likes this.
  3. CCshinobi

CCshinobi Filmmaker, Animator

Not sure how to elaborate, but the leg kicking seems drastically...long. Like, it has an elastic look that makes the ankle and knee cap almost transparent. Also, for future reference, a martial artist jump kicking usually has both his hands and arms up a bit higher...unless you're portraying a street fighter with no apparent structure or training lol.

Good effort though! As someone who used to draw a lot in elementary, I remember how hard it is to achieve these kind of dynamic foreshortening angles.
    Shading and character sketch overall is solid. Keep it up~

over8000 likes this.
  4. over8000

over8000 Eccentric Artist

I actually made the arms that way because I thought it would go along better with the "crazy" feeling his face was already giving, but I know martial artists do not have their arms like that when they kick :P, anyway thanks for the comment.

5. Bakari

Bakari Newbie

Your lone work is way too orthodox for this kind of style. Don't use even lines for drawings with dynamic actions. Generally even lines should only be used for cartoony styles, stuff like Gumball and gravity falls and such.

The anatomy is just not. The head is too big for the body, the mouth is too big for the face, the arms are too thin, the upper body is too tall, the stomach is connected poorly to the abs, there is no definition of where the forearm is, there is no groin area, the abdomen doesn't connect that way, legs can't bend that way in mid air... just practice your anatomy for a sec.

The thing with foreshortening means that there is a dynamic perspective, one point, two point or three point, what you have attempted was a one point perspective, the issue with your drawing is that the character lives outside of the guidelines. Basically if the foot is that big then everything behind the leg needs to get progressively smaller.

You can read more on it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_point

That being said your vanishing point as it seems looks like it's too far away from the image plane, which makes the drawing look awkward, seeing that much of the leg he is kicking with is not optimal, since you are forced to make him bend his leg in a way that is not possible. When kicking in mid air your torso bends accordingly so that the pelvis can be as straight as possible. Basically your foot is too far off your characters general silhouette.

[​IMG]

See how the body is rotated on this one, according to the leg, also the foot is a lot closer to the rest of the body in comparison to yours.

over8000, CCshinobi and Bugspray like this.