My First Song Demo

Discussion in 'Music' started by Phreak, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Phreak

Phreak Newbie

Amusing Music likes this.
  2. Phreak

Phreak Newbie

So... no? No good?

3. Shulkle

Shulkle Remembered as the worst fight animator

I'm not exactly a music expert, but, the thing is, there isn't much to be said. It's a pretty standard beat with drums, following a continuous rhythm. Doesn't help since it's a demo, so we can't make any final judgement about it not picking up. I think, just for me anyway, that buzzing sound early on was getting a tad bit obnoxious, but that's about it. Otherwise, looks pretty solid, but doesn't seem to pick up. Here's hoping to see your final piece. c:

4. Phreak

Phreak Newbie

Well, I made all of it from scratch, and I don't want to go through what's probably gonna be 7 hours of labor and wind up with something nobody likes. I just kinda want to know if this vague concept is worth continuing before I record it with live instruments.

5. Amusing Music

Amusing Music Musical Composer & Arranger

I'll have to agree with a previous statement; there's not much to grasp yet. But, this means you've laid the foundation so the possibilities and potential are definitely there! ...And are practically endless!

---

Personally, I like the 'buzz' at the beginning. It captures attention, adds texture, and transitions out of the intro section, however, it feels to be 'just there' and then abruptly stops. There's nothing playing off of it nor complementing it. It doesn't change and it doesn't vary from its original pitch in the first measure, (barring its crescendo), nor does it return later on. For me, it's a bit bland and I would add some simple variance to it to give it some more purpose, such as bumping it up an octave after the first measure, maybe giving it some note changes, or if you like it the way it is, perhaps introducing another instrument with faster rhythms over it or instead giving the drums a more emphasized transition to help move it on.

Speaking of which, while the drums are fitting, I think they sound a bit stiff. I personally would give them a beat with a bit more zest; something that accents the bassline. (For example, the first beat found here: youtube.com/watch?v=tJTezjNQoXI ). Experiment and try some different ones- you'll never know what you'll like or end up with. It might change the style a bit. Use with discretion.

There's no main melody, but I'm sure you'll come up with something great!

Lastly, a friendly reminder about dynamics, (or variations in volume)! It's a powerful tool that adds life to your piece! Think about how you want the music to flow and how you want it emphasize different parts while you craft the rest of your piece. Exaggerations are welcome!

---

So, there's my views on it. You don't have to take any of it, but they're there.

I'm a strong believer in the idea that you should make any art because you like it and are proud of what you've created (at least so far), not because of other people's opinions, (unless they've hired you to make such art because then it's a business thing or you're auditioning for something, but that's beside the point). Make music because you love it and it sounds good to you! If they don't like it, take the criticism with a grain of salt, try and find ways to improve, and apply what you've learned to your next work. Sometimes people just dislike the genre and other minor things you went with and are lurking around in the wrong place- who knows? Make music for yourself before you make music for others!

Personally, I really like the concept and I'm looking forward to what you come up with if you decide to continue with it. Honestly, I've been improvising violin over it. It's quite fun.

Noz and Shulkle like this.
  6. Lykern

Lykern // Lykrin-???!, Lykern-Male, Lucia-Female! /**/ JA

Nice music
    Agree with what Amusing Music said.
    Just gonna say that the music feels retro in the sense of during the hip hop, break dance, bad boys time period.
    Hope to see it finished.

Oh yeah, everyone likes different things, so there's definitely those who enjoy this kind of music.

7. Phreak

Phreak Newbie

Thank you for the responses - I'm going to be practically framing it on the wall. This was me dipping my feet in and testing the water, so a full song that's made with actual live-recorded instruments is sure to follow (of which the quality will likely need to be improved at a later date).

On a side note, The "Buzz" stops pretty quickly because I don't know what to do with the bassline - it's probably going to end up being a second one, a lot slower and steadier. I'll hurry along!