spriting hair

Discussion in 'Sprites' started by Arcux, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Arcux

Arcux Newbie

so I looked at some of the character hairstyles on bannedstory4, and made this from inspiration:
    [​IMG]
    Something really doesn't seem right. Can anybody show me?
    I did look in the tutorial collection by LeoV, but SwissedToast's hair guide link wasn't functioning. :c (but thank though)

thank

Lynus and Tra-La-Tracey like this.
  2. Kat

Kat Medicine keeper

Had to open this up in an editing software to see it more clear.
    The base looks pretty good :), but it has too many straight edges in my opinion(indicated with arrows in the image link I gave), I think making them more curved would improve it, so far it kinda reminds me like they were chopped off. It's ok if that was what you were going for.
    And it seems like the hairline is slightly off.
    http://prntscr.com/e5db6i

Lynus , Tra-La-Tracey and Arcux like this.
  3. Tra-La-Tracey

Tra-La-Tracey Veteran Membah'

I'm not very knowledgeable on the design aspect of it (it looks pretty good tho :0), but the shading is good, but there's not really an idea of where the light source is.
    Here's a shading tutorial I found on MM a long time ago (made by someone else, not me xD).

[​IMG][​IMG]

Blez, Lynus , Kat and 1 other person like this.
  4. Arcux

Arcux Newbie

Thanks c:
    [​IMG]
    -added brown, black, blonde, and red
    -took off bangs to help to show shape of top, might add bangs back
    -"curved/fixed hairline"
    Does the hairline look any better, and does it not look chopped off now?

Tra-la-tracey:
    you posted right when I was about to ^.^ great minds think alike if that's what that even means.
    Thank you for the tutorial, I will try to make a light source based off one of the palletes

Lynus , Kat and Tra-La-Tracey like this.
  5. Kajiya

Kajiya The Forge God

the whole thing looks flat because you focused on fitting each strand with each shade while in reality you should use only 2~3 shades on each strand and get darker and darker on the way to the back of the head and the light source looks like its on the lower left and not the upper left.

Plus IMO the area where most of the hair parts is too low.

Arcux and Lynus like this.
  6. Kat

Kat Medicine keeper

This looks way better, good job ^^

Arcux and Lynus like this.
  7. Lynus

Lynus R.I.P Reginald.
    Retired Staff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I stole some of Paul's old work to show you something but just for good measure..
    Defining each hair strand by itself is a pretty oldschool method, so what we do to counter this is to replicate this through using differentiating shades to emphasise strands and direction and whatnot. Also, your hair is pretty lackluster colour wise so either I suggest steal some colours and experiment with them to get what you need to develop a style. But yeah, try to get a starting point where all the hair flows from cause yours looks like hot chips thrown on a table. yeah. Also something else Paul does is he makes all his strands like perfect curls so its not jagged or ugly, just like here:
    [​IMG]
    the curls are like very circely and round kinda so yeah try to copy that maybe something about how the previous pixel shape doesnt go over the next one so yeah on the big one on the bottom right
    1 1 1 1 2 5 2 1 1
    and the other onces
    1 1 1 3 1 1 1
    yeah you get me right?

I GOT NOTHIN
    @Paul

Arcux and Kat like this.
  8. Paul

Paul Guest

could have just used my avatars hair but that shit works 2 i guess

Arcux, Kajiya and Lynus like this.
  9. Arcux

Arcux Newbie

Hi guys, thank all for feedback and paul for his stuff:
    @Lynus
    Thank for your effort, but I don't have grasp of the concept you are explaining. :srsplz: so I just started to try out some stuffs in a video. hopefully that will show how much I understand, and what I still don't comprehend yet. Hopefully it will let you see my thought process.

If you want to show me something from the video, just tell me the general time. like 0:12 or smth
    https://vid.me/Lskv

thank

Tra-La-Tracey likes this.